Wednesday, October 5, 2016

The Big "C"

With all the excitement of the babies, I have been quiet about a not-so-fun subject. Partly because we have been waiting on more details, and partly because we were all wanting to focus on happier things and not worry about the unknowns at this point.

And who ever really wants to talk about cancer anyway? I mean, it has its own ominous nickname: the big "C." There aren't many who are not touched by cancer in some way, but when the diagnosis comes for you or someone close to you...

When we went to San Antonio for our baby shower, after all the fun festivities, my parents sat us down to let us know that my dad had been diagnosed with prostate cancer. It was definitely not at all what I expected when they said they wanted to talk with us. I listened to all of the details, but I think it took a few days for it to actually sink in. And I HATE being here, unable to go there...

A cancer diagnosis is scary no matter what. But prostate cancer can often be treated successfully, and they seem to have caught it early for my dad. The doctors seem positive that surgery is the best way to get rid of it. We won't know until after the surgery whether or not it has spread or not, but all the numbers and labs look good at this point. 

So if you think about it, will you be praying for my dad? His surgery is scheduled for the end of November {after the babies arrive, on purpose}. Pray that the doctors can remove all cancer and that it has not spread. And please pray for his recovery. He is taking all of December off from work to recover, which is good {and a HUGE deal for my hard-working dad}, but it's not going to be an easy road. Please also pray for my mom as she takes care of him. We feel so helpless because we most likely won't be able to go down there to see him and help, and I know they are struggling with being away from babies for their first Christmas. We have a good plan in place for everyone, it's just hard when things don't work out the way you had envisioned them. We're no strangers to a change of hoped for plans, so we are resting in the Lord's goodness, knowing that He is in control. 


No comments:

Post a Comment