Tuesday, January 20, 2009

MRI/MRA/MRV Round 1

This morning I went for my first MRI/MRA/MRV session. Today was the easy day! It's kind of funny- it occurred to me that there is no privacy or sacredness at a doctor's office. From the invasive questions they ask you on the registration paperwork to the actual exams and/or procedures...nothing is sacred. No place else is it ok for a guy to ask you, "Are you wearing a bra? I am going to need you to take it off." LOL. So awkward. Call me a prude- it's still awkward, even in the doctor's office.
 
I was only in there for about 35 minutes, so it went by a lot quicker than I expected. They were unable to give me earphones today, but I did get ear plugs and a nice face mask. Even with the ear plugs, the machine was super loud! You would think with all the modern technology, they could come up with a quieter machine. It kind of sounded like I was sitting on a jet engine. I am happy to announce that I am for sure not clastrophobic :) haha, so that is a good thing. Although, I do have to say that the tube they put you in is quite a bit smaller than I had expected. My brother had had an MRI on his back and he had told me there was about 10 inches between his nose and the top of the tube. This one was more like 4 inches. I was very close to the walls of the tube.
 
While I was in the tube, I had a great opportunity to spend some time with the Lord. If nothing else, it gave me uninterrupted prayer time! When I wasn't praying, I was contemplating the whole concept of this "tube." What do they do with larger people? I don't mean to offend or be rude, but it was a really small space. I wondered how many times people have pressed the panic button. I wondered what would happen if you had to pee? It is a good thing that the machine could not read my thoughts. LOL.
 
I did not have to have contrast today- they saved that for tomorrow. So tomorrow morning, I will go into the tube (that sounds so strange! haha) for another 35 minutes, then they will pull me out and administer the contrast via IV, then put me back in for about 50 minutes. So please pray for no reactions to the dye. Round 2 will be for tomorrow...
"Trust yourself to the God who made you, for he will never fail you." ~ I Peter 4:19

No comments:

Post a Comment