Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Acts

I have been a part of the girls Bible study with the 20s group, and for the past 9 months, we have been studying the book of Acts. I haven't done an in-depth study of this book since I was in high school, so it was such a blessing to take the book chapter by chapter and really dive deep into the Word.

The group of women that I had the privilege of studying with was such a blessing to me. I was encouraged week after week with their words of wisdom and insight, and I learned so much from them. One thing I have learned about myself over the past couple of years in leading Bible study is that I LOVE small group study. I love being able to walk through Scripture each week and hearing how the Lord is moving in each person's heart and life. I love the intimacy that comes through vulnerability and the desire to seek Jesus together. I love watching the Word inspire and transform hearts. It is such a humbling experience to lead a Bible study, as I rarely feel equipped to do so. I'm just not smart enough for it. But I have been so blessed in being obedient to the places the Lord has placed me to serve, and my heart is encouraged and challenged all the time.

I LOVED the book of Acts. I loved reading about the beginning roots of the church. I loved learning the back story to many of the other New Testament books. I loved watching the power of the Gospel and the Holy Spirit transform lives and communities. I loved reading about Paul's unwavering commitment to spreading the Word and sharing Jesus with everyone he met.

One of the things I have been most challenged by through the study of Acts is how Paul felt that the Gospel was something worth losing everything for. For Paul, it was more than just being obedient to the call the Lord placed on His life to be His witnesses to the ends of the earth. He was certainly obedient in that, but Paul believed in the Gospel he preached. And that belief is what drove Him to live a life unashamed of the Gospel he believed. Every decision, every action or next step, was centered around the Gospel. It wasn't a "side task" or something he made time for on the weekends. It was the foundation for who he was and how he lived his life.

This study made me realize how often I forget the Gospel. That may sound strange, but it's a harsh reality of my sinful heart. I don't forget what Jesus did for me on the cross; but I do too often forget that it should be the driving force behind, well everything. How I spend my time, how I do my work, how I spend my money, how I make decision, how I interact with everyone I meet. My prayer has been that I can live a life closer to that of Paul. Not because I think I can be this amazing saint who has this awesome story. Paul was awesome, no doubt. But Paul just understood the power of the Gospel. He met Jesus face to face and was blown away by the life, love, and power He offers. He understood that the message he carried with him was a matter of life and death and was worth risking (and actually losing) everything for. Nothing compared

"But I do not account my life of any value nor as precious to myself, if only I may finish my course and the ministry that I received from the Lord Jesus, to testify to the gospel of the grace of God." ~ Acts 20:24

I am so blessed to be marrying a man that understands the power of the Gospel and who desires to live in such a way that makes the Gospel central in our lives. He challenges me in this all the time, and I am excited to partner with him in serving our Savior.

days! :)

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment