Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Advent 2012

Source
Growing up, I really only remember advent being something that we heard about in church during the weeks leading up to Christmas. We never had a family advent calendar or countdown. That's not a bad thing or a slight against my parents; but it is something that in recent years has made me want to focus on my own personal reflection time during the advent season. In years past, I have followed varying Scripture reading guides that have highlighted verses pertaining to the first coming of Christ.

This year, I decided to use the Advent Guide from the Village Church to walk through Scripture and reflect on the Christmas season. This is one of my favorite times of year, and if I am not careful, I can get distracted by all of the prettiness and fun of the season. My heart can wander and lose focus.

I chose this particular guide because of its purpose:

"to awaken the angst of waiting, longing and yearning for Christ."

I want to yearn for Jesus. To walk through the Scripture and truly understand the longing that the Old Testament people had for Messiah. To see glimpses of God's promises scattered throughout history and His fulfillment of those promises. To awaken that same expectation that Israel had for their promised Messiah as we look ahead to His second coming.

This Christmas season, I want to stay focused. I pray that I will not get distracted and instead spend purposeful time reflecting on the gravity of Christ's coming to this earth.

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment