Monday, September 21, 2009

Sales School, Day 1

So today I started the dreaded 3-week new producer's school- a.ka. sales school. I have already done 4 weeks of pre-coursework, and now I am completing the 3 weeks of in-class training portion of the program. I am very thankful for this opportunity; I appreciate the training that my company wants to pour into me. But for those who know me, you know that anything sales related is just not my cup of tea. Umm...I got some bad advice in college and switched my major to Professional Selling. I was a ProSales major for a grand total of 1 week. First and only class I ever dropped at Baylor. When the professor opened the class with, "Over this next semester, you will learn the 32-step process of making a sales call..." I knew I was in the wrong place.


Me + Sales = no bueno

So when my boss said I would be attending this 7-week sales training, I really just wanted to curl up into a ball and cry. Over the past few weeks, I have been praying about my attitude toward this school. I have prayed for positivity and for open eyes to the things I could potentially learn (and really walk away feeling like I could use it). I will let you know how things go at the end of the 3 weeks. Still praying....

It is also more difficult now, knowing my recent change in direction within the company. While they didn't hire me to do sales, and this was just "extra" training "just in case" (whatever that means), now I know I will use this training less than before. But I was already signed up, paid for, and 4 weeks in....

And so today was Day 1. This is what I learned:
  • I am in a male-dominated industry (I am the only female in the class. Awesome.)
  • I do not possess the right personality to make a good sales person (at least according to today's assessments...but this is no surprise to me. I could have, and have, said this before)
  • After spending 1 day in the room with all sales-oriented people, I want to do sales less than ever before. Not my kind of crowd.
  • I think sales people mistake in-your-face excitement and pushiness for enthusiasm
  • It's really hard for me to "buy into" most of these concepts because it is so far opposite from my personality
  • It's going to be a long 3 weeks....sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment