Friday, September 11, 2009

Remembering 9/11

It's hard to believe that it has been 8 years since the terrorist attacks that infamous day in September. I can't say that I truly understand the terror experienced on that day; I did not lose a loved one in the attacks. But so many people lost a mother, brother, sister, friend...and it is for them that I choose to remember.

I remember the fear that ran through the country. I remember the fear that I felt for my own loved ones, when no one knew what was going on and everyone expected more attacks in other parts of the country. I was a junior in high school, and we were getting ready to leave for our annual high school retreat. We were all gathered in the cafeteria, ready to load the buses and head out for a week of fun with our classmates. Our principal came to the podium and made the announcement that two planes had flown into the twin towers. It took a few minutes for the reality and weight of the situation to hit us. For our safety, since we lived in a military town (and there were reports of pending attacks on military bases), the administration decided to go ahead and get us out of the city and take us to camp. So we loaded the buses and road 4 hours in silence. We prayed and tried to catch tidbits of information through a broken radio. When we arrived at camp, we were finally able to call our parents and loved ones. Over the next 2 days, we caught bits and pieces of what had actually happened. Needless to say, our retreat turned into a prayer vigil for our nation. While it was hard to be away from my family during that time, I am very grateful for the time I had with my classmates.

Since that time, I have watched several friends and my cousin deploy. Thankfully, many have come home safely. I pray continually that they all come home. I am so proud of those who serve their country with such courage and selflessness. To these brave men and women, I say THANK YOU. Thank you for your service, for fighting for the freedoms I enjoy. Thank you for giving up what's comfortable and familiar to you so that I can feel safe in a place that is comforable and familiar to me. Thank you for the sacrifice you make on behalf of those who don't even know your name. Thank you for bravely serving to protect and defend our great nation. I pray for blessings and safety for you and your families.

No comments:

Post a Comment