Thursday, April 27, 2017

Listen Up! Even If

Today I'd like to talk about a harsh reality that many couples face regarding infertility.



The reality I'm talking about is having to face a life without children. Many couples who struggle with infertility do go on to become parents, either through a miracle, through medical treatment, or through foster care or adoption. But there are some who don't. And as you walk through your journey, you never know if that's going to be you. 

We constantly had to lay our hopes and dreams of a family before Jesus. And it was the biggest test of my faith. Could I really be ok if the Lord closed the door to Embryo Adoption? Could I still love and wholeheartedly follow Jesus if He chose not to give me a family? That seems extreme, but when you are faced with the loss of something that has become so important and desirous to you {read: an idol}, it's a reality I had to work through with the Lord. Could I really praise Him in ALL circumstances?

I'm on the other side, and I am holding babies in my arms. While our path to grow our family is far from traditional and not at all how we planned, the Lord allowed me to experience pregnancy, and I have 2 beautiful babies that made me a mom. So it's easy for me to say now that I could absolutely be ok with the Lord shutting all the doors to a family. At the time, I was trying so hard to get there, and I believe the Lord brought me to a place where I was able to surrender to Him. But it was such a struggle in my heart. And it's something I have to always be willing to do.

I didn't have this song during my journey, but a friend shared it with me the other day, and I thought it was perfect, and aptly named "Even If." She is currently walking a similar path to ours {infertility, Embryo Adoption, loss}, but is still waiting for her take home baby. And her faith is such an inspiration to me. I pray that it is an encouragement to your heart today, whether you are trying to wrestle with surrendering your dreams of a family or something else to the Lord.



They say sometimes you win some
Sometimes you lose some
And right now, right now I'm losing bad
I've stood on this stage night after night
Reminding the broken it'll be alright
But right now, oh right now I just can't

It's easy to sing
When there's nothing to bring me down
But what will I say 
When I'm held to the flame
Like I am right now

I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone

They say it only takes a little faith
To move a mountain
Well good thing
A little faith is all I have, right now
But God, when You choose
To leave mountains unmovable
Oh give me strength to be able to sing
It is well with my soul

I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your mighty hand
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone
I know the sorrow, and I know the hurt
Would all go away if You'd just say the word
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone

You've been faithful, You've been good
All of my days
Jesus, I will cling to You
Come what may
'Cause I know You're able
I know You can

I know You're able and I know You can
Save through the fire with Your might hand
But even if You don't 
My hope is You alone
I know the sorrow, I know the hurt
Would all go away if You'd say the word
But even if You don't
My hope is You alone

It is well with my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul


2 comments:

  1. You could copy and paste all of this and apply it to my loss and then struggle surrendering to singleness while longing for marriage. It's a hard road but I'm thankful for God's mercy to show me that he is more worthy than anything else I could desire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isn't it such a good song?? I read a little bit about their inspiration for it, and I loved that they said that even if God went silent and never spoke again, He would still be worthy of all praise because of all that He has already done for us (Jesus on the cross). He is worthy long before any of the hard circumstances show up.

      Delete