Thursday, September 10, 2015

Embryo Adoption :: Post-Miscarriage Follow Up

Today I had my post transfer and miscarriage follow up appointment with my RE. I know I have said this several times before, but I am just so thankful for my doctor. It was absolutely God's grace that we found her, and I cannot say enough good things about the clinic. I truly think she is doing everything she can to help us grow our family, and I appreciate the respect she shows for our faith-based decisions. 

The appointment went well. While neither of us were happy that we were even having the consult, I appreciated the conversation. Mike and I have not made any decisions about what we are doing moving forward, but we trust our doctor's opinion and wanted to have all the facts before we made any final decisions. 

The reality is that we didn't have high quality embryos; they were actually graded fairly low. There is evidence that suggests that vitrified embryos do better {ours were not vitrified}, but when it comes to grading, it's really a best guess. Some low graded embryos have resulted in healthy children, and some high graded embryos have not achieved successful pregnancies. The doctors can't ever really know for sure; it's where we know that the Lord shows His sovereignty. 

We knew the risks when we accepted our match, and unfortunately we didn't meet with "success." My RE still believes I have a good home for embryos, if we can have the opportunity to try with better graded embryos. Her recommendation is to find embryos that have been vitrified {fast frozen vs. slow frozen}, but she also understands that we will choose embryos based on how the Lord leads us. 

I requested further testing to be sure that our miscarriage was in fact related to the embryos and not to any underlying autoimmune issues. This type of testing is usually not done until there are multiple losses, but because I already have an autoimmune disease {Crohn's}, my doctor understood my concerns and ordered the lab work. I do believe that our embryos just weren't strong enough, but I want to be sure before we consider trying again. I just wouldn't be able to live with myself otherwise...

So now we await those results {takes a few weeks}, and pray about what the Lord would have for us next. 

No comments:

Post a Comment