Wednesday, May 1, 2013

1000 Gifts #1-90

I follow and read Ann Voskamp's blog, A Holy Experience. She writes such powerful and encouraging words to women. She introduced the Joy Dare at the beginning of 2012, and it is a way to intentionally count 1000 blessings, joys, or gifts in one year. Since I haven't read her book, I figured I wouldn't start the challenge until I had. But the Lord has been pressing on my heart the need to keep a gratitude list of my own, so I decided to use her format to help prompt ideas on things to look for in the everyday. I am joining late to the game, but I think that's ok! :)

Each month I will start posting my lists, so that by this time next year, I should have a list of over 1000 things for which I am grateful. How cool is that? And maybe I will have some time to add this book to my reading list.

So here we go...
 

  1. My wedding rings and the love and relationship they signify with my sweet husband.
  2. Cookies. I am thankful for yummy cookies.
  3. Plates that are full of food at every meal in our house and the provision that signifies.
  4. Warm sheets to sleep in every night.
  5. Jesus Paid it All...I am thankful for the reminder this song is to me that "Jesus paid it all, all to Him I owe. Sin had left a crimson stain, He washed it white as snow."
  6. The beauty of the clouds.
  7. Crohn's. This one has been hard to be thankful for, but I am thankful that the Lord has used it to draw me into a deeper dependence on Him.
  8. Favor with a boss who intimidated {and frankly terrified} me in my initial interview, but who is now one of my favorite people :)
  9. Being a part of a company that is not only growing, but still desires to make an impact in the communities in which it serves.
  10. God's promises can be trusted. Joshua 21:45- "Not one word of all the good promises that the Lord had made to the house of Israel had failed; all came to pass."
  11. God's strength. Psalm 73:26- "My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever."
  12. Knowing Jesus is the ultimate gift. Philippans 3:7-8a- "But whatever gain I had, I counted as loss for the sake of Christ. Indeed, I count everything as loss because of the surpassing worth of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord."
  13. The Lord helped me complete some reports at work in a timely fashion that helped my boss.
  14. A sweet tea run. I miss Dr Pepper, but am thankful I can still enjoy sweet tea.
  15. Quiet nights at home with my husband.
  16. Our little rent home. Even with all of its quirks, we are so thankful for this little home God provided.
  17. Our "wedding picture wall" {more nailed to the wall, than necessarily nailed together, but close...}- it brings such joy to remember back to that sweet day.
  18. The pavillion in Erwin Park, where we held our Easter service this year.
  19. My husband. I waited a long time for him, and I am so thankful the Lord made me wait. I often think how perfect God's timing is.
  20. This job. Those long months of commuting seemed as though they would never end, and yet God abundantly provided this blessing of a job.
  21. The tea kettle...so I could have some Peppermint Tea to calm my crazy insides.
  22. Temperatures! I am thankful for the warmer weather that is slowly making its debut.
  23. The prayers of His people. We hit day 98 of our Pray nine3eight Campaign, and we are so thankful for the prayers that have been rising up on our behalf.
  24. My B-12 levels. I am thankful for my GI doctor insisting I take the injections to get my B-12 levels back to normal.
  25. My life is hidden with Christ in God {Colossians 3:3}
  26. Women's Bible study held in our home.
  27. Hearing puppy steps on the hardwood floors...as crazy as she is, I am thankful for my sweet Sasha and the joy she brings to my life.
  28. The skies opened up today and we had a lot of refreshing rain.
  29. Humira. Medicine that opened up my ileum so that my insides could function more normally.
  30. Mail that wasn't a medical bill.
  31. Bluebonnets in Texas! Such a beautiful time of year.
  32. The sweet baby girl that our dear friends are expecting.
  33. All of the flowers outside of my office...a reminder of Spring coming!
  34. The pearl bracelet given to me by my sweet friend Lauren that is a constant reminder of her sweet friendship over the years.
  35. My work clothes. The ability to have them and the reminder they are of a job provided by the Lord.
  36. Stretchy pants. Haha- as silly as this one is, I am thankful for stretchy pants and the comfort they provide :)
  37. Bright, sunshiny day!
  38. The bright morning sun pouring into the bedroom that signifies a new day, a new start.
  39. Sunglasses to protect my eyes from the bright sun.
  40. Hope and peace from my Heavenly Father.
  41. Sunshine. I am thankful for the sunshine that warms my face.
  42. A roof over our heads, God's abundant provision.
  43. The bag of granules to rid our yard of fleas. Thankful for a dog, a yard, and pesticides to kill fleas.
  44. The leftovers in a to-go box from a fun dinner out with my husband and my brother.
  45. As we study through the book of Genesis, I am thankful for the reminder of God's faithfulness to His Word, despite our continued disobedience to Him.
  46. The intestinal pain that makes me lean on Him and be thankful for the pain-free days*
  47. Waiting on God's timing, constantly surrendering my will and desires before His throne, because it reminds me of the grace and perfect plan He has for me.*
  48. Surrendering control and security for the joy of experiencing the fullness of His grace and provision as I see His work in my life.*
  49. The quilt hanging in our guest room that is a reminder of the love and prayer committed on our behalf by my mom's sweet quilting and Bible study ladies.
  50. How the body of Christ is woven together under one Spirit and one Lord.
  51. How my and Mike's life were woven together by God in His perfect timing.
  52. Adoption into God's family and all of the inheritance that entails.
  53. My dad's drive to work hard and do my best in everything.
  54. The faith of my parents that is now my own; that legacy of faith is a first in our family, and it is such a blessing.
  55. A small square piece of Ghirardelli chocolate as an afternoon treat.
  56. The year's supply of square heartworm pills that our sweet vet gave us as a gift to help us as we grow our ministry.
  57. A square bag of peppermint tea to soothe my stomach/intestines.
  58. A stack of work to do to keep me busy and productive.
  59. A little bit of savings stashed away {for now}. My husband observed that we have more money now than when we moved to McKinney. Which is true. And a complete blessing from God.
  60. The early morning stillness before the Lord.
  61. Grace. Wonderful, abundant, and ever-present grace.
  62. Love so amazing, so divine.
  63. Indescribable peace and joy from a life with Jesus.
  64. The close relationship I have with my mom, and the encouragement she provides in my life.
  65. Time with my best friend Laura and the gift it is to have her living so close.
  66. "The Lord is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18 {NIV}
  67. The ability to look back through old blog posts and journal entries to reflect on all that God has done in my life.
  68. The sun reflecting on my windshield as I drive.
  69. The moon reflecting light through the oak tree in our backyard.
  70. The fragile dried flowers from my wedding bouquet displayed in our bedroom, a sweet reminder of our wedding day.
  71. A fragile friendship that reminds me of God's grace and mercy in my own life.
  72. The fragility of a woman's heart and the blessing I have of leading women to the heart of Jesus through His Word.
  73. The warm bath sheets when I get out of the shower in the morning.
  74. Stainless steel Kitchenaid mixer, a gift from Mike's sweet aunt.
  75. The wooden spoon and fork to serve our dinner salad.
  76. Watching the trees move in the wind and being reminded of God's presence in my life.
  77. Hearing about friends moving homes to pursue Jesus and serve Him all over the globe.
  78. The Spirit moving in the hearts of our church plant members to reach McKinney with the gospel.
  79. The neighborhoods in which we served today, and the efforts of so many to make something that was once ugly into something beautiful; not only the homes we gave a fresh coat of paint, but also the people with whom we desire to share the beauty of the gospel.
  80. The days when my husband says I am beautiful, even when we both know I'm looking closer to a shade of ugly haha; thankful for his love and grace.
  81. The beauty of the gospel in an ugly world of sin.
  82. An orange sunset.
  83. The ability to eat raw orange baby carrots with my lunch because I am not having a flare up.
  84. No pulp orange juice.
  85. Working in the dirt for a Go and Be project to bless our neighbor in East McKinney.
  86. The new bushes and flowers planted in the dirt in our front yard.
  87. The dirt Sasha brings in...because it's a blessing to have her and a yard for her.
  88. The flowers we gave my mom for her birthday, delivered to her house because we couldn't be with her on the actual day.
  89. A handmade gift for my friend Laura and her husband-to-be...so thankful for their upcoming wedding!
  90. Thankful for the sacrifices made {and still being made} to plant a church in McKinney; sacrifices made not just by us but
*Eucharisteos- grace, joy, thanksgiving


No comments:

Post a Comment