Monday, August 17, 2015

Embryo Adoption :: Thaw Day

Today our remaining 4 embryos will be thawed and then cultured out to day 5. The doctor has given them a 50% success rate, expecting 2 to survive to our transfer on Wednesday. We are petitioning the throne of God for all 4 to survive. And not just survive, but to thrive. We want so much for the doctors to be proven wrong and for our tiny ones to beat the odds they have been given. 

We are not allowed to transfer more than 2 at a time {for health and safety of both mom and babies}, so if more than 2 survive this thaw/culture process, the remaining embryos will have to be refrozen. They will be frozen using the newer, faster freezing technology, which has proven to be gentler and safer for embryos. While we are thankful for this safer method, we still really struggled with that decision, because it's part of why we didn't choose IVF to begin with: we didn't want to freeze our babies. Ultimately, we wanted what was best for our tiny ones, and we felt the Lord gave us grace in choosing to trust the medical expertise of our doctor and embryologist.

The next couple of days are going to be difficult as we wait. We are praying for no phone calls from the clinic {which means an abnormality in the thawing process}. It was hard to lose our first 2 embryos; we don't want to lose any others. But ultimately, they are in the Lord's hands, and their lives are His. So we wait and pray, and hopefully meet the next 2 tiny ones on Wednesday...

No comments:

Post a Comment