Thursday, December 11, 2014

{30 Before 30} :: Learn to Sew

I have wanted to learn how to sew for awhile now. I can sew a button if necessary...it may not look pretty, but it will hold :) I have several friends who sew, and I have had a long list of items I would like to make!

I had to start with the right equipment. I asked my sister-in-law about what sewing machine a newbie on a budget should start with, and she said I could have her original machine. It needed some work/tuning, but it was going to be such an incredible blessing to have a machine to learn on so quickly!

My first "lesson" was on a night when the boys were having a poker night; we decided it was a good excuse for a girly craft night. Since we were waiting on my newly inherited sewing machine to be serviced/cleaned, I got to learn on Lindsay's fancy digital one :)

My first project: new pillows for the living room!


I was surprised at how easy it really was! I instantly fell in love with sewing, and I quickly found a new hobby/obsession. I love the idea of being creative and making my own stuff, so sewing is right up my alley!

Lindsay and I had lunch one afternoon, and she said she had a surprise for me in her car. I figured it was her old machine, tuned up and ready to go, so I was really excited to see it! But when I got to the car, I found this lovely gift:


It turned out to be more expensive to fix the old machine than to get a brand new one. And so she picked this one up for me instead. This was SUCH an incredible blessing and overly generous gift! I am so thankful for her sweet and generous heart. She said it was slightly selfish because she wanted us to be able to create together...and that we shall do!! I couldn't wait to get started!  :)

It took me a little time to figure out my machine...Lindsay wasn't sitting next to me like in my first lesson. But I think I'm starting to get the hang of it. I made sure my first few projects were fairly basic...sticking with straight lines and simple patterns.

Key Chain- this is actually attempt #4 ha :)

I have a few other projects in the works, but just haven't had a ton of time to complete them. Does it count that I "learned to sew" if I am still in the process of learning?? :)

I am excited about continuing to learn how to use my machine and increase my sewing skills. Yay for new {fun} hobbies!


No comments:

Post a Comment