Friday, September 21, 2012

Goodbye Summer...

The summer heat just had to hang on for a little bit longer. But I'm not complaining; while everyone else is wishing the heat away, I am trying to soak up the last bit of warmth before the cooler temperatures set in. They are predicting a long and wet winter (which means ICE in this area), so I have to enjoy the heat while i have it!  :)


It has certainly been a busy summer...full of weddings, family, anniversaries, church planting interviews/prep, vacation, and Bible studies. But it has been a GOOD summer. We have seen the Lord's provision and care in countless ways, and we are just so thankful for His faithfulness.

At the actual change of seasons, we find ourselves looking ahead to our own change of season in life. The church planting residency is in full swing, and we are getting ready to face a new and busy season. Mike is putting the finishing touches on the sermon he will be preaching at the end of the month {come here him in person or watch it online!//end proud wife plug}. We are having a "family talk" with our home group to talk as a family about what our future will look like. And we are starting the support raising process, which includes the creation of a support/vision video (thanks to Mike's wonderfully talented and generous brother), the planning of multiple dessert nights, and the development of a new informational site.

Saying goodbye to summer is more than just saying goodbye to the warmer weather. We're also saying goodbye to life before a church plant. Because now things are real, and we are rolling forward, full steam ahead. All the anticipation of the church plant is quickly changing into the reality of the church plant. Life will never be the same. If I think too much about it, I can get easily overwhelmed and that amount of change can terrify me. But the Lord knows me better than I even know myself, providing the exact right encouragement when I need it. I am reminded of these verses in Daniel:

"Blessed be the name of God forever and ever,
to whom belong wisdom and might.
He changes times and seasons;
He removes kings and sets up kings;
He gives wisdom to the wise
and knowledge to those who have understanding;
He reveals deep and hidden things;
He knows what is in the darkness,
and the light dwells with Him."
~Daniel 2:20-22

I'm not asking for the Lord to interpret a dream (like Daniel), but what an incredible picture of the sovereignty and wisdom of God. Everything is under His command, nothing is outside of His knowledge. New seasons don't terrify Him; He creates them. And I know He has been whispering to my heart all along...comforting, molding, preparing. So while it is scary to step away from what I have known into the new season ahead, I can take comfort in knowing that He knows what is ahead and has been faithfully preparing me for the season He has created.

And so I say goodbye to summer and the season of life that the Lord has used to prepare me for the next one...



Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment