Sunday, June 21, 2009

Dad's Day!

This weekend I was able to go home to see my dad for Father's Day. While the weekend was super crazy, it was still great to be home with him. I am still incredibly blessed to have both sets of grandparents, and they all live in San Antonio. So not only do I get to celebrate my dad for Father's Day, I also get to celebrate both of my grandpas. I realize this is rare, so I do my best to cherish the time I have with them.

Several years ago, one of the television networks advertised a "Big Kahuna" Hawaiian weekend getaway for one lucky father. My brother and I tried very hard to win the vacation for my dad, but we were not the lucky winners. And we could not afford to send him to Hawaii on our own. So we decided to bring Hawaii to him. We decorated the entire house with Hawaiian decor, woke him up early on Father's Day and even packed his suitcase and "flew" him down the stairs to the Hawaiian vacation waiting downstairs. We made a huge throne for him, and ever since then, Father's Day has been deemed "Big Kahuna Weekend." How one day turned into an entire weekend, no one will ever know for sure. But even though we give him a hard time about it, it is always a fun way for us to celebrate our "Big Kahuna."

Where do I even begin to talk about my dad? There really aren't enough words. I admire my dad in so many ways. He has been the ultimate example of a true loving father. He has been the spiritual leader of our family, and I have learned from him what it looks like in practice to be a devoted follower of Christ. He is uncompromising in his faith and has so much godly wisdom. He has always been there for me, and he is an incredibly generous man. He always thinks of others before himself, and he has made so many sacrifices for our family.

I am so grateful for the relationship that God has given to me and my dad. I am blessed to have such a godly father, one who loves me no matter what. He reminds me that he loves me, tells me that he is proud of me, or sends me encouraging scripture verses on a regular basis. And absolutely nothing compares to a daddy hug.
Here we are this weekend at our favorite hamburger place- Chris Madrid's!


I love you dad, and I hope you had a great Father's Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment