Wednesday, April 1, 2009

The Mysterious Migraine

I had an appointment with my neuro-opthamologist yesterday, and in the words of my mother, "it's only migraines." Haha. As crazy as that sounds...it is a praise that it really is just that and nothing more serious. Although, as I type this, I realize that it's crazy that I have my own neuro-opthamologist. Who else can say that? I have never been one to have normal sicknesses or diagnoses...nope. Always the weird stuff. What can I say? God made me "special." LOL

The doctor said that the spots in my vision, particularly the blinding light in my right eye, was a classic symptom of a migraine. Apparently, you can have a migraine that consists of headache, nausea, vision problems, or any combination of those symptoms. Luckily I have only experienced bad, though tolerable, headaches. Oh, and the vision issue only once. Migraines are genetic, and I have 2 aunts that suffer from migraines. I just might be the lucky one who got picked in the gene pool to get them. Of course. He also said they could be stress-induced. Which makes sense, considering the last year of my life. He also said it could be related to the medication I am taking. I already have doctor's appointments scheduled to address those concerns, in case that medication is the direct cause, or if it increased my risk of getting them.

So for the next four weeks, I am supposed to keep a headache diary to chart when I get migraines, what might have triggered them, etc. He gave me some sample medications (for those who speak migraine-lingo, he gave me an abortive and a rescue drug; after the 4 weeks, he will determine if I need a preventive...please pray that I don't!) The bad thing about all the medications is that they are supposed to make you drowsy. Translation: can't be taken during the day if I want to function like a normal human being. And I really don't want to be on any medications. So basically, I am on a mission to (a) find out what caused them in the first place, (b) find out what the triggers are for me so I can avoid those things, and (c) monitor to see if this is situational or something that will stick around for awhile. Good news is that he said it's unrelated to the swelling on my optic nerves; there just happened to be something else wrong with me- lol.

I am trying to do my research, because I don't want these suckers to stick around and/or get worse. I have friends who suffer from what I have always thought of as a migraine (severe headache, nausea, extreme light sensitivity). The doctor said there is the possibility mine could escalate to that...which makes me all that more determined to figure this thing out so it doesn't reach that point (at least if it's in my power to change). I realized yesterday that I have had more doctor's appointments this year than I have had most of my life. So sad. But thank you, Lord for early diagnosis, good doctors, and good insurance.

No comments:

Post a Comment