Saturday, October 8, 2022

Mommy Getaway

This weekend, I got to have a little Mommy Getaway! I am so thankful for a husband who (1) recognizes my need for solo time, and (2) who helps make it happen for me to get some time away! I love my kiddos, but I also love quiet time away to unplug and recharge. And this weekend helped me do exactly that.

I stayed in a little AirBNB in Shepherdstown, West Virginia. It helped me check off another state on my {40 Before 40} list, and it was a good little retreat in nature. The first day, I explored the area around Shepherdstown. The C&O Canal runs through it, so I went on a small hike along the Potomac River to explore the locks. 


Looking across the Potomac River to the Maryland side

James Rumsey Monument: inventor of the steamboat

It was a little too early for the fall leaves, which was a bummer, but it was still beautiful


I also walked around the little downtown area, walked by the college, got some ice cream, and just enjoyed being out in the beautiful weather. I spent the rest of the evening reading :)

The next day, I explored Harper's Ferry. I went into the Harper's Ferry National Historical Park and took the shuttle into Lower Town.

Viewing 3 states! West Virginia, Virginia, and Maryland

The Point at the Rivers, where the Potomac and Shenandoah Rivers meet




I took a hike across the rivers along the Appalachian Trail into the Maryland side, and walked along the Potomac on the C&O Canal Towpath. It was another beautiful day {a sunny 74 degrees!}, and while there were several hikers and bikers out, it wasn't too busy at all. It was so peaceful to walk along the river and hear the rush of the water.




I turned back at mile marker 62, and made my way back into the historic Lower Town. As one of the first industrial cities in the country, and located along the B&O Railroad, it contained a large armory and was the site of many battles in the Civil War. The town has many historic sites, but there are some little shops and restaurants that operate. Most of the town is on a hill and many of the sites were at the top of many, steep steps...I was definitely feeling the burn :)

John Brown Monument

Jefferson Rock

View from Jefferson Rock


After spending all day hiking in the National Park, I headed back to take a nice, uninterrupted nap...and it was glorious! :) 

The rest of my time away consisted of reading, spending extended time on my Bible study, catching up on a few shows, and just enjoying time to myself. I headed back home, rested and refreshed, ready to tackle the noise and chaos of my normal life! Haha. I missed my family and was ready to get back to them, but I am so thankful for the time away to just breathe and be something other than "mom" for a bit.




No comments:

Post a Comment