Tuesday, April 21, 2020

Social Distancing :: Day 40

Day 40. There's talk of re-opening things in phases, but we haven't heard any final details, or really seen any consensus. Whatever ends up happening, I know we {our family} will be sheltering in place for a little longer than most people anyway, so it will be interesting to see how things play out over the coming weeks.

I was able to sneak out for a quick meet-up with Laura at Sonic {6 feet of distancing, in our own vehicles, of course}, and it really did my soul good to actually see her in person. I had to pick up a curbside order after that, and it was not so good for my soul to see the lack of social distancing and responsible mask/glove-wearing. I was pretty appalled at how much blatant cross-contamination was happening...there really was no point in wearing the gloves/masks at all. Thankfully I didn't have to touch or be near anyone, but it didn't give me much hope of safely re-opening things in the coming weeks...


10 Year Date-iversary
This past weekend, Mike and I celebrated our 10 year First-Date Anniversary! Ten years ago {on the 19th}, Mike and I went on our very first date. It's crazy to think how far we have come, how much has happened since that very first date. I had originally wanted to re-create our first date for this anniversary, but quarantine. So we'll have to re-create it another time. For now, we were just able to reminisce over that time, where we had dinner at Cafe Brazil, then sat and talked over coffee at Firewheel Mall. I was nervously quiet, and he talked nervously...and yet, here we are, all these years later. I'm so thankful he asked me out, and wasn't scared off by my lack of social interaction at the time :)


Outside Time
When the stay-at-home orders came through, we ordered a basketball goal for the kiddos. It was on our list of fun new spring/summer items anyway, so we figured it was a good time for it. It finally arrived, and the kiddos have loved getting to play "basketball shoot." Turns out, Eli is a pretty decent shot! It's a fun little addition to our outdoor activities, and it's fun to watch them play.





Granny had this giant soccer goal in her backyard, but because no one was getting any use out of it, she thought we could enjoy it instead! We have had lots of fun kicking around the soccer {and beach} balls.





Toddler School
We have continued our semester of Toddler School, and so far it is still going well. We haven't been able to do the fun field trips I had originally planned for this spring, but I am glad that I had most of the supplies on hand already. I have only had to adjust our plans slightly, which is nice.

Art Class :)

I get these little canvas/paint/brush sets at the Dollar Tree, and Eli and Maddie LOVE them!

Seeing how a bug sees

My little cutie bug :)


Missing Extended Family
We have definitely been missing extended family. It's normal for us to Skype with my parents, because they don't live in town. But even that hasn't felt like enough, mostly because we have already had to cancel a visit from them, and we're not sure what the planned summer visits will look like either.



We miss our weekly Granny and cousin play dates too. We have been Skyping or doing Zoom calls with them too, but Granny and Grumpz came by for a quick drive-by visit to drop off a few things. It was so heartbreaking when Eli asked "why didn't they come inside our house?"


It's sad to be so distanced from family and friends right now. But we're thankful for technology, and we're thankful that everyone we know right now is safe and healthy. And we're thankful that our only "struggle" right now is having to stay home and be a little inconvenienced. 


No comments:

Post a Comment