Monday, January 21, 2019

Wishing for Snow

There was talk that we would get some snow just after the start of the new year...but it was just that: talk. It got cold, and we had some drizzle, but no snow. Not even a little.

I don't usually love the snow, mostly because I don't love the cold. But I do think that Eli and Maddie would think it's pretty fun, so we have been wishing for a little bit of snow around here! We started filling the inside of our home with all things snow, and then this past weekend, we actually got a little bit of real snow! :)

Snowman Sticker Art
I found these cute snowmen stickers in the Dollar Spot at Target {Target for the win!}. Eli and Maddie are still too young to fully grasp the concept of building snowmen with stickers; they like sticking the stickers on the paper...and then ripping them off. So it at least distracted them for a few minutes. Every time I tried to show them how to "build" a snowman, they would have none of it. Oh well. Maybe they're going to be the next Picassos :)







Snow Day Book
I found this cute little Charlie Brown book {again} in the Dollar Spot at Target and Eli and Maddie LOVE it. Seriously. I had hoped to put it away with the Christmas things, but they ask for this {and a Christmas Mickey Mouse book} every day. So we read it ALL the time!



Snowflake Window Clings
Since Eli and Maddie like putting stickers on paper and then promptly taking them back off, I decided they might like some window clings. I bought them an "Under the Sea" set that they loved; it actually has kept them occupied way longer than I expected. And then I bought them some snowflakes...because they are my little snowflakes, and these are prettier than starfish and whales :)





Snowman Bowling
I saw this cute idea on Pinterest {where else?} and decided to give it a try. Eli and Maddie have started throwing their toys {because why not?}, so I am trying to re-direct that energy to appropriate tossing/throwing activities. We'll see if this helps or hurts :)

I made a super simple version: I just used Sharpie markers to draw snowman faces on styrofoam cups and rolled up a couple of pairs of socks for the "snowball." Limited effort and my kiddos LOVED it!






So the snowmen were cute and all...but next time I won't even spend the time drawing the snowman faces on the cups. Because when they were done "bowling," they just wanted to stack and then tear the cups apart. Oh well.




A Dusting of Snow
After all the wishing for snow, we actually got a tiny bit of real snow this weekend! It was cold enough to stick around for the day, but it wasn't a huge amount. But enough for Eli and Maddie to notice, for sure. We actually went out that day to pick up Eli's new glasses, see a model train exhibit, and go to lunch with Granny. But it was so cold and windy, Mama was our little ones were NOT interested in being outside for any length of time. So we just looked at it through the window haha. We'll have to actually play in the snow another time :)





-------

I have a few other snow related activities I'd like to do with them, so we'll see how those go and if we get some more snow this winter. Hopefully we can get a little more snow {and it not be so windy} so we can actually go out and play in it! 


1 comment:

  1. So fun! We didn’t get any snow so I guess that’s a benefit of your move “up north” 😉 And the snowman bowling was a big hit at our house too- but I WAS too lazy to draw on the cups so they were just plain cups which proceeded to get torn apart by the toddler!

    ReplyDelete