Wednesday, January 2, 2019

2018 Book List

I have actually read approximately 4,500 books...if you count the books I have read to my children over and over. And over and over. Of course, tales of dancing giraffes, twins at bath time, and peas saying please probably don't count for this list...but they should count for something! My hope is that they develop and maintain a love of reading, so they don't have to "challenge" themselves to read a ton of books in a year like their mama.

Since I read 40 books last year, I decided to make that my goal for this year. Go big or go home, right? :)

Then pregnancy insomnia set in, and I ended up hitting my goal long before Aiden arrived, so I raised my goal to 50 books. And then I spent so much time nursing and being up with Aiden in the middle of the night, that I raised by goal again. I hesitated at first because I know life would be crazy with a newborn, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to try!

The other way I "read" this many books? The magic of audiobooks. It's difficult to find time to sit down and read an actual book these days {though I still prefer it, and would love to spend whole afternoons curled up on the couch with a good book}. But the reality is that I am now a mama of 3, and I will have to enjoy that nice fantasy in about 20 years or so. Until then, I am thankful I can click on an audiobook and complete other tasks {cleaning, making dinner, folding laundry, etc}. 

So here is my 2018 book list!

1. Toddlerwise by Gary Ezzo // I read the first book Babywise, so I thought I would give this one a try {now that we have entered into the stage of toddlerhood}. A friend of mine said she had found it incredibly helpful when she brought her adopted 2 year old boy home. While I agreed with many of the ideas in the book, I just didn't think it was that helpful. I didn't walk away with a ton of new insight into my tiny toddlers. But it did make me want to search for another book that might be more helpful.

2. Hallelujah Anyway by Anne Lamott // I have heard a lot of good things about this author. She is an amazing writer, and I found her book really interesting. I appreciate her honest writing, and she has a way of rambling while staying on track that is rare to pull off well. She does it superbly. I have read that this particular book is not her best, so I look forward to trying another of her books. I liked this one, but look forward to reading some of her supposedly better work.

3. The Tech-Wise Family: Everyday Steps for Putting Technology in Its Proper Place by Andy Crouch // Highly recommend this book! It had a lot of really good information and suggestions in it, and I think it is a must-read for any family. While some of the ideas seem a little extreme, I appreciate the author's willingness to examine the usefulness of technology and the best way to put it in its proper place in the home. We will definitely be implementing some of his suggestions!

4. Camino Island by John Grisham // This was not your typical lawyer/crime Grisham book. But I actually enjoyed it. It was nothing like he usually writes, but I enjoyed the story. Some might find it slow {especially since it started off so intriguing, then slowed for the rest of the book}, but I didn't find it boring at all. Random, though...the main character seemed to sleep a lot haha.

5. Odd Child Out by Gilly Macmillan // I read her first book and liked it, so I thought I would give her second book a chance. And I thought this one was better! It wasn't suspenseful, but it was a good mystery with a good storyline.

6. Raising Twins: A True Life Adventure by Freya Manfred // This was a memoir of a mom who kept notes on her twin boys from the time they were born to the time they graduated from high school. I did not like their parenting style and thought the boys were incredibly disrespectful and rude. Toward the end, I grew a little tired of the intricacies of each of the twins' personalities. But I appreciated some of her insights into the dynamics of raising twins.

7. The Polygamist's Daughter by Anna LeBaron // First, I have to say that NO ONE should have to face the fear and abuse that she did. She lived through a terrible ordeal, and it takes a lot of bravery to speak out about those things. That being said, I didn't really like this book. Again, her story was terrible, for sure, but I feel as though she was spared a lot of abuse by some very loving family members, and it {at least the way it was presented} made her seem ungrateful. I am sure it was more of an editing and presentation issue.

8. The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner // Everyone who didn't love The Polygamist's Daughter said that The Sound of Gravel was SO much better. So I decided to read it. It is actually written by a cousin of Anna LeBaron. The one word I can use for this book: TRAGIC. It was brave of the author to tell her story, but I felt sick after reading this book. I really wish I hadn't picked it up, and I should have put it down. So I don't know if I can "recommend" it. I did also struggle with her telling of her younger years, as it was written more from a perspective of an adult, rather than a small child. But I am sure that is just how she is able to process her childhood now.

9. Reclaiming Hope: Lessons Learned in the Obama White House About the Future of Faith in America by Michael Wear // I really liked this book. Michael Wear worked in the office of faith based initiatives under the Obama administration. As a professed Christian, he reflects on his service to the president. I appreciated the respect and admiration he had for Obama, even when he did not agree or was disappointed in a decision. I thought some of his suggestions and ideals were a little naive and overly hopeful, but I still thought he had an interesting perspective. It helped explain a lot of our current political atmosphere. 

10. A.D. 30 by Ted Dekker // This was a historical fiction book that follows the story of an Arabian queen during the time of Christ. I really enjoy historical fiction, and I really enjoyed the descriptions of Christ in this book. Total fiction...but I appreciate how the author portrayed the main character's encounter with the Messiah.

11. The Fact of a Body: A Murder and a Memoir by Alexandria Marzano-Lesnevich // I guess I just don't have the same appreciation for Goodreads recommendations...I was intrigued by the premise of this book, but was disappointed with it. I knew the topics would be heavy {murder, sexual abuse, pedophelia}, and they certainly were, but I felt the writing was clunky. The author drew parallels between her own life and the life of this particular case, and I found it borderline obsessive and a bit of a stretch {because she wasn't very involved with the case to begin with}. She tried to make this tragedy too poetic, and I had to draw the line when she was trying to elicit sympathy for the murderer by trying to humanize the heinous nature of his crimes. Do not recommend.

12. White Like Me: Reflections on Race from a Privileged Son by Tim Wise // This book addresses an important topic; it takes a hard look at the privileges afforded to white people. Which is why it's hard for me to say that I don't recommend it. Unfortunately, the author came across as arrogant and self-important, having no problem utilizing {and in my opinion exploiting} his own white privilege for his own gain. It felt more like a rant against white people, and he ironically used a lot of stereotypes. Instead of skillfully pointing out ignorance, he just angrily called people stupid. One of my biggest problems with this book was that he had ZERO references for his statistics and so-called facts. I just can't recommend a book that is not thoughtfully/intelligently presented and carefully researched/referenced, even if the topic is important and some good points were made. So disappointed.

13. Church of the Small Things: The Million Little Pieces That Make Up a Life by Melanie Shankle // I have read her other books, and I really enjoy her writing. She is entertaining, funny, and has a way of presenting big truths in simple ways. This book was written a little differently than her others...written in little vignettes, rather than one overarching theme. So for some, it may seem a bit disjointed, but as she writes about varying aspects of her life, she points out how all the little things are what are important. A light, fun read. She writes from a suburban, upper/middle-class perspective, so know that going in to understand her world {as it may not be relatable for all}.

14. Little Fires Everywhere by Celeste Ng // This was kind of a strange book. I liked parts of it; some of the story was really good. But I felt like it should have been 2 separate books. Or the intertwining of the stories should have been condensed with better connections. I don't know. I just felt like there was a lot going on, and I struggled with some of the characters. Mrs. Richardson was awful. Meh.

15. Searching for Spring: How God Makes All Things Beautiful in Time by Christine Hoover // Review here.

16. Bringing Up Bebe: One American Mother Discovers the Wisdom of French Parenting by Pamela Druckerman // I thought this book was so fascinating! It was really interesting to read about the culture of parenting in France, and how it differs from our American culture. I thought this book was entertaining and information; definitely recommend if you're looking for a different parenting perspective.

17. Anne of Windy Poplars by L.M. Montgomery // Just continuing to read through this beloved childhood series...this wasn't my favorite in the series, but I still love Anne :)

18. The Husband's Secret by Liane Moriarty // Eh. I didn't love this book; it was ok at times. I found the characters unlikeable and somewhat flat, so it's not one of her better books. I listened to it while cleaning, and I kept thinking it would get better...and it never did. Wouldn't recommend- definitely had language and inappropriate content.

19. Seeking Allah, Finding Jesus: A Devout Muslim Encounters Christianity by Nabeel Qureshi // This was such an interesting book! He shares his journey from being a devout Muslim to coming to faith in Jesus as the Son of God. I appreciated his care and love in describing his Muslim upbringing; he shows so much love and respect for his family. I learned so much about the intricacies of Islam, even if it was an individual interpretation. I also appreciated his intellectual journey to discovering the truth of Jesus. Highly recommend!

20. Beartown by Fredrik Backman // I read another book by this author last year, so I wanted to try another. This one was completely different, but still really good. He seems to really like writing about and characterizing entire communities, and I find that so interesting. There were definitely crass parts and some language {not a fan}, but the story overall was really good.

21. Unoffendable: How Just One Change Can Make All of Life Better by Brant Hansen // I liked this book. It was simple and straight-forward, very conversational in tone. He talks about our societal belief that we have a "right" to be offended, but specifically addresses Christians and how anger and being offended have no place in our walk with Christ. He doesn't say anything new or revolutionary, but I do think his words are timely. Some really good food for thought.

22. We Are Charleston: Tragedy and Triumph at Mother Emanuel by Herb Frazier, Bernard Edwards Powers, Jr., Marjory Wentworth // This book was written as a tribute to the victims lost in the tragic church shooting in Charleston. Most of the book was a history of Charleston and the racial tensions that have woven through the fabric of the city. I would hope that a revision comes for this book, as it seemed hastily written and could use some more refining. It was interesting, and many of the topics discussed were important. It was just a lot to wade through.

23. Ina May's Guide to Childbirth by Ina May Gaskin // I appreciated a lot of the birthing facts and experiences shared in this book. It was one of the least judgmental natural birth books I have read. While I didn't resonate with some of it, both from a view childbirth in general {an overly-spiritual, sexual experience} and from the view of the "evil hospital institutional birth," I could still appreciate other women's experiences and the encouragement to let your body do what it was designed to do. Not a bad book, but also not the best. 

24. Birth Day: A Pediatrician Explores the Science, the History, and the Wonder of Childbirth by Mark Sloan // This book was so fascinating! I enjoyed his writing and how he shared the history of childbirth. Of course, I don't agree with the evolutionary ideas presented in the book, but the rest of it was so interesting! Such a unique perspective on childbirth and all aspects of its medical care.

25. Lilac Girls by Martha Hall Kelly // For once, I wish a book would live up to its hype...this is a historical fiction book, based on a true story. It follows Caroline Ferriday, a philanthropist and New York socialite, Kasia, a Polish teenager imprisoned at the famed Nazi concentration camp Ravensbruk, and Herta, a German doctor at the camp. For the most part, this was a compelling story, but I struggled with the characters. I did not like how the author took poetic license to create a love interest for Caroline; she just came across as completely unlikeable, pining after a married man. And it just made her story irrelevant for most of the book. Kasia's character fell strangely flat, despite her harrowing experience. And Herta was not actually portrayed as the monster she truly was. Again, it wasn't a bad book; it just could have been so much better.

26. Sisters First: Stories from Our Wild and Wonderful Life by Jenna Bush Hager and Barbara Pierce Bush // A quick read and sweet look at the lives of the Bush twins. I really thought this book would be a closer look at their relationship as sisters. While that was a part of the book, it wasn't the main structure. It was mostly both of them going back and forth sharing stories from their childhood, about their family, about being granddaughters and daughters of presidents. Still a sweet book and an interesting look at a first family.

27. The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin // This is a resource for dads, doulas, and other labor companions, but I found it really helpful for me! It was a really thorough look at the birthing process, and it included a lot of really helpful information regarding decisions to be made. She is pro-natural birth, but offers unbiased, non-judgmental information on all of the hospital interventions and pain management. She offers really great tips on how dad {or the chosen birth partner} can help the laboring mom throughout the process. Highly recommend to first time mamas and their birth partners!

28. The Perfect Girl by Gilly Macmillan // This is the third book of hers that I have read...and I liked it. There were some things that were not my favorite. I didn't understand the purpose of Sam's storyline...totally irrelevant to the rest of the story. And I thought that Richard's sudden turnaround was odd and not believable. But overall, it was a quick, enjoyable read. Of the suspense/thriller category.

29. The Womanly Art of Breastfeeding by La Leche League International, Gwen Gotsch // This was a good overall look at breastfeeding, but, for me, it fell short on practical advice. I didn't learn anything I didn't learn in the breastfeeding class that I took at the hospital, so I didn't find it overly helpful. And I just have to say, that the constant likening to mammals and animal instincts in many breastfeeding/pregnancy/birth/parenting books gets really old. I'm sorry, but I am not an animal, so my instincts are different.

30. The Woman in the Window by A.J. Winn // In a word, this book was predictable. I was hoping it would be a good thriller, a fun reference to Hitchcock's Rear Window, but it just didn't do it for me. I didn't love the writing, and it just seemed too unbelievable in places. Definitely disappointed. 

31. Grist Mill Road by Christopher J. Yates // This kept my interest enough to finish it, but otherwise I can't recommend this book. It was a pretty dark and disturbing story. There was a fair amount of language and crude sexual references. Aside from that, the characters were a little strange to me. And the writing was hard to follow at times...when did leaving off quotation marks for conversation become a thing?? Blah. Too many not so great books in a row!

32. The Kitchen House by Kathleen Grissom // I wanted to like this book. At times, when I was reading it {or rather, listening to it}, I did like this book. But overall, it just fell flat for me. It kind of seemed a bit like a soap opera, and it dragged on and on at too many parts. It was overly repetitious, and overly tragic, and I was just ready for it to come to an end. Just wasn't for me.

33. Let Me Lie by Clare Mackintosh // I found myself going back and forth on whether I liked it or not, pretty much every chapter. If I had read this one first, I probably wouldn't have read another by this author. It's supposed to be a psychological thriller, but it was super slow. When the big twist came, I felt pretty indifferent about it. There were interesting parts, for sure, but I am on the fence on whether or not I will read another by her.

34. The Nursing Mother's Companion by Kathleen Huggins // I actually found this book pretty helpful. It is definitely more of a reference guide, meaning it was hard to get through all of the info in just one read. And many parts were annoyingly repetitive. But as a resource book, I thought it had a lot of good info. It was more of a troubleshooting book on breastfeeding, which is something I really need!

35. The Child Finder by Rene Denfeld // This book was very well written; it was hauntingly beautiful. The story contained heavy material {child kidnapping/abuse}, but I appreciated that it was not overly graphic. It was slow at times, but I feel that the author's writing helped keep my interest in those times. 

36. The Walls are Talking by Abby Johnson // I read Abby's first book a few years ago, which was her story of leaving the abortion industry. This book includes stories from a number of former abortion workers about their experiences in the industry. It's a hard read, for sure. But an important read nonetheless. There are just so many lies presented to women regarding abortion, and Abby's goal is to bring those to light and truly give them options. 

37. Siblings Without Rivalry by Adele Faber & Elaine Mazlish // There were some good takeaways in this book {not showing favorites, not boxing your kids into roles, some helpful examples on how to respond to kids in specific situations, etc.}, but overall I just didn't love this book. It felt incredibly patronizing, and I feel like the format was tedious. The classroom narrative addressing parent questions and subsequent discussion got old and repetitive. It might be more helpful when my kiddos are older and actually in verbal conflict, but I don't see myself coming back to this book. 

38. Where There's Hope by Elizabeth Smart // This book had several inspiring stories, and I admire Elizabeth Smart for her fortitude and desire to seek hope and peace despite her circumstances. Overall, the book was not bad, just not my cup of tea. It seemed a little slow, and while inspiring, I just don't personally agree with a lot of the philosophies applied. They're not bad applications, but they come from a non-biblical place.

39. The Danish Way of Parenting by Iben Dissing Sandahl and Jessica Joelle Alexander // I am fascinated with reading the different ways that people around the world approach parenting. Since the Danes are known as "the happiest people in the world," I was curious about their style of parenting! It was definitely interesting to read how they approach life in general and how that applies to how they raise their kids. In some places, it seemed like the book was pushing the Danish way as the only right way to parent, and there are some underlying ideas that conflict with a gospel view. But other than that, it gave me some good things to think about. 

40. Dancing on My Ashes by Heather Gilion and Holly Snell // I actually met Holly during our church planting days. Her husband is a church planter, and we visited their church in McKinney many times. And Mike actually worked with Holly for a period of time. I knew a little bit of her story, but when she and her sister relaunched their book this year, I decided to pick up a copy! They have such an incredible story of redemption, and I appreciated hearing their story of how God used their pain to glorify Himself. The book was a little slow and repetitive at times, but overall it's a good read.

41. The River at Night by Erica Ferencik // This book fell flat for me. The language was way too dramatic and ominous at the beginning before anything actually happened...making me think something was going to happen. But the characters were flat and unlikeable, and the story just didn't do it for me. No need to pick this one up.

42. Flash: The Homeless Donkey Who Taught Me About Life, Faith, and Second Chances by Rachel Anne Ridge // This book was sweet and charming. It was a little slow at times, but overall an enjoyable read. Each chapter focuses on a specific idea/theme, so it's like mini lessons, rather than one flowing story. I did think it would be more funny than it was, but I still found it to be a fun read.

43. Us Against You by Fredrik Backman // The sequel to Beartown {#20}. This was a continuation of everyone's lives after the first book. I felt like this one was a little slower, and the author definitely took the language and crass scenes up a notch {again, not a fan}. It was just the typical sequel that wasn't quite as good as the first book.

44. Walking with God in the Season of Motherhood by Melissa B. Kreuger // This was the summer study/devotional I chose, and I enjoyed it. I appreciated how she laid out the study questions, while including her thoughts on how it applied to various aspects of motherhood. Her main point: we need Jesus more than anything else in the season of motherhood. I definitely needed to hear and be reminded of many of the truths she presented. This book is good for both personal reflection, as well as small group discussion.

45. Parenting with Love and Logic by Foster W. Cline and Jim Fay // I liked the premise and overarching principles of this book: give kids choices and allowing them to own their choices, allow natural consequences, discipline instead of punish, etc. But it was not presented well; it seemed somewhat disorganized and repetitive. The basic principles of love and logic were not explained well. And I just couldn't get on board with most of the practical tips. The way it was presented, it just seemed so incredibly patronizing to children, and borderline cruel in some instances. It was also supposedly a Christian book, but the only spiritual aspects of the book were a Bible verse at the beginning of each chapter. Nothing at all was presented Biblically. Definitely do not recommend this book.

46. I'll Be Gone in the Dark: One Woman's Obsessive Search for the Golden State Killer by Michelle McNamara // I tried this book, because I was curious about the true crime genre. After reading it, I am still interested in trying other true crime books. And this one wasn't bad, but I did find it pretty repetitive, disjointed, and unfinished. But to be fair, her husband worked to pull the book together from her notes {as she died before she could complete it}, so it really was unfinished. The case was interesting to me, particularly since the Golden State Killer was recently arrested, and the story was in the news. It was difficult to read {particularly at night...in the dark...}, it's just too bad the author wasn't able to complete her own work.

47. The Turquoise Table: Finding Community and Connection in Your Own Front Yard by Kristin Schell // I enjoyed this book. I really like the concept of being open to community, and I love how she offers simple and hassle-free solutions. My only drawback is that it seemed like all the stories were positive, and I would have liked to hear some of the "fails" at being Front Yard People, just as a teaching tool. It would be nice to offer encouragement for when things don't go as planned {like when no one shows up, or you have to deal with difficult/oppositional neighbors, etc). But other than that, it's a quick read, and one that I recommend.

48. The Sun Does Shine: How I Found Life and Freedom on Death Row by Anthony Ray Hinton // While this book was repetitive, I appreciated the story. Anthony Ray Hinton was accused of robbery and murder and sentenced to death, despite maintaining his innocence. It was interesting to read his perspective of death row in Alabama, and it was encouraging to read how he found the strength and courage to remain positive despite his situation. A good read.

49. The Last Time I Lied by Riley Sager // A friend had this on her Goodreads list, so I decided to check it out. In my opinion, it was ok. I liked idea of the story, but there were too many things that happened that just didn't seem plausible. It seemed like every other page I was thinking, "that would never happen..." That just made it hard for me to enjoy.

50. The Bridge by Jill Cox // I read an advanced digital copy of this in 2016, but then I received my own personal autographed hard copy...and my sweet friend Jill released the sequel a couple of months ago, so I thought I would read Book #1 again in anticipation of reading her new book! I had planned to read her books sooner, but 3 babies was a little crazy, so I was glad to finally be able to do that! I'll be honest, contemporary romance is not my go-to {or necessarily favorite} genre. But this is just such a sweet story {and clean!}, and of course, I love supporting my talented friends!

51. The Sleep Sense Program by Dana Obleman // This was also another re-read {first read in 2017}. But I needed to refresh myself on her ideas as we prepared to get Aiden ready to sleep better. Because it's about that time for everyone to start getting some better sleep!

52. The Long Walk by Jill Cox // This is my friend Jill's second book, the sequel to The Bridge {see #50}. This was the continuation of Meredith's story, and I thought it was good! It was a lot different from the first book...a more serious {and even sad} story. But I appreciated how it wasn't the typical romance wrapped up with a perfect bow.

53. Treasuring God in our Traditions by Noel Piper // I really enjoyed this book. She walks through various family holidays and traditions, describing their meaning to Christ-followers and how to incorporate various things into your family rhythms. It's something I have thought a lot about, as we decide how we want to celebrate certain holidays and share God's Word with our kiddos. So I found this little book really helpful.

-------

Books I started, but didn't finish:
  • The Summer Before the War by Helen Simonson // I picked this up because it was recommended for those who love Downton Abbey. I wanted to quit so many times throughout this book, and just finally couldn't continue. My best review is ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
  • The Girl Before by J.P. Delaney // Woah. Highly inappropriate. It was incredibly sexually explicit, so I had to stop reading. Yikes.
  • The Road Back to You: An Enneagram Journey to Self-Discovery by Ian Morgan Cron and Suzanne Stabile // I wanted to see what all the Enneagram fuss was about, and this was supposedly a good book to lay the groundwork. I kind of finished it, but I didn't feel like I could add it to my "read" list in good conscience since I skimmed/skipped so much. I just couldn't handle all of the self aggrandizing language, or how it tried to mask the "self-discovery" as a good, spiritual thing. Its claim of spirituality bears little resemblance to biblical spirituality. I am sure knowing the personality types could be helpful; but it's far from revolutionary, in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment