Monday, December 4, 2017

{Crohn's Awareness} :: This is #myIBD

This week is Crohn's and Colitis Awareness Week. I haven't talked much about my Crohn's Disease recently, mostly because I have had a couple of other things to keep me busy :)  But I have also been in remission and feeling great! That is such a huge blessing, and I am so thankful for how the Lord has taken care of me.

I actually had a routine colonoscopy at the end of September. About 7 years after the onset of symptoms {which for me was around 2010}, my GI likes to do one to gauge how the disease is looking. The prep was no fun, but not terrible...but I am glad I don't have to do it again for another 5-7 years or so. The colonoscopy went well, and my doctor said that there was only trace evidence of my disease in my GI tract. If he had seen this GI tract at the time of my diagnosis, he wouldn't think that I had Crohn's Disease at all. That's the BEST news that someone living with IBD can hear {other than finding a cure, of course}.

This year, the #myIBD awareness campaign allowed me to create my own infographic regarding Crohn's Disease. I thought it was a cool little visual and a helpful way to share my story.
I was diagnosed at the age of 27. I had been having intestinal issues off and on for 2 years. In the fall of 2012, I started having severe pain. I started seeing doctors to try and figure things out. I had an appointment scheduled to see a GI, but never made it to the appointment, as I ended up in the ER a few days before. It was at that time {December 2012} that they diagnosed me with Crohn's Disease.

I feel my symptoms the most in my GI tract. I have Crohn's Ileitis, which means that my disease mostly affects my ileum {the last portion of the small intestines}. Most of my symptoms were related to pain in my intestines. My insides would become incredibly inflamed and irritated, making it almost impossible to eat anything, and sometimes difficult to move and function. I have to watch the foods I eat to keep from triggering symptoms that just make my symptoms worse. I have also experienced a lot of fatigue with my disease, mostly because my body is constantly fighting the pain.

My symptoms affect me the most financially. I take Humira to help keep my Crohn's in remission. While it has been incredibly effective for me, it is very expensive. I always meet my deductible within the first month or two of the plan year, simply with my medication expense. But I am so thankful for insurance, because then it is paid for the rest of the year. 

So far, I've had 0 surgeries. I have had the incredible blessing of not needing any surgeries for my Crohn's Disease. About 70% of people with Crohn's will eventually require surgery. Obviously, my chances go down if I can keep my disease in remission, but there are never any guarantees. But for now, I am thankful that I haven't had the need for surgery.

I get support mostly from family, friends, and online communities. Being diagnosed with an incurable disease is scary. I am so thankful for the family and friends who were {and still are} supportive when I was learning to figure out life with Crohn's. I found a lot of comfort in reading other people's stories, knowing that I wasn't alone in how I was feeling. It's why I share my story publicly, in hopes that others find encouragement and hope.



No comments:

Post a Comment