Monday, March 6, 2017

What is a Snowflake Baby?

Before I dive into my post, I just want to say that this is going to be about Embryo Adoption, which uses the term "Snowflake Children." This post is NOT about Generation Snowflake, which is a newer term used to describe the over-protected, entitled generation of young adults of the 2010s. I absolutely hate that this term is now being used in a derogatory way, because I love how it was first coined for Embryo Adoption. I get the negative connotation; I just hate that the term itself is being ruined. So when I refer to my Snowflake Babies, please know that I'm not raising my kids to have a self-inflated view of themselves...they were just frozen for a bit :)

That being said...

I just love this quote...and I feel like it perfectly describes our infertility {standing out in the cold} and embryo adoption {snowflakes} journey :)

When we started pursuing Embryo Adoption, and I started seeing the term "snowflake baby," I absolutely loved the affectionate term. In the EA world, the term "snowflakes" is used to describe the sweet babies who were once frozen through IVF. They are affectionately called this because, just like actual snowflakes, they are frozen, unique, and a beautiful gift from heaven. Our agency is the one who coined the term Snowflakes, which is why they call their program Snowflakes Embryo Adoption


Obviously, we are huge fans of Embryo Adoption. It has been such an incredible gift to our family, and it has been an amazing way to see the beauty and handiwork of God. We look forward to sharing with Eli and Maddie how the Lord brought them into our family, and we hope they will always understand how much they were loved and wanted and prayed for. And we hope that it is a tangible way for them to understand their invitation to adoption into God's family through faith. 


I came across this "make your own snowflake" generator, and so I just HAD to make one for our snowflakes :) {it basically takes your name and creates a snowflake unique to you}.

Elijah Winn

Madeline Grace

We love our snowflake babies, and we pray we get to meet our remaining two this side of heaven! :)


4 comments:

  1. So is Elizabeth a snowflake baby too even though she wasn't adopted?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Yes, Elizabeth would be a snowflake baby if she was frozen before transfer. The IVF community often uses the term, but it was originally coined by Nightlight in their embryo adoption program. I would say frozen = snowflake baby :)

      Delete
    3. P.S. Congrats on your sweet little one! Praising God for His goodness!

      Delete