Thursday, November 23, 2023

Thanksgiving 2023

This year for Thanksgiving, we decided to make it our "practice" year for a Thanksgiving meal. I made my first official meal a couple of years ago, but I made the turkey in the crockpot because I was too nervous to try it in the oven. And it was fine. But I decided to give it a go, for real this year ;)

I was gifted a turkey, and it ended up being 19-pounds haha. What better way to "practice" than on the largest bird available? Go big, or go home, right? Since it was so large, we knew we would have more than enough to share, so we put out an invitation to several people in our church. Many already had plans, but we ended up having a sweet woman from our congregation join us, and it was such a blessing to have her. 

This year, I started with The Pioneer Woman's recipes: brine and roast turkey. And while it was a decent amount of prep work, it actually turned out pretty good! I definitely learned a lot along the way, but overall, it was doable for a non-cook like me ;)



First thing I learned: I don't have a big enough pot. I had to do my brine in 2 batches because my pot wasn't big enough for the amount of brine necessary for a 19-pound turkey. Go figure. I don't plan to cook a 19-pound turkey again in the future, but if I do...I'm gonna need a bigger pot.

I also had my little helpers in the kitchen with me. Maybe if I can teach them alongside me, they'll learn early and take pity on their poor mother and be the ones to cook the turkey when they're grown haha. 



While we waited for the brine to cool, we finished up some schoolwork and then pulled out a fun Thanksgiving activity map {thank you, Dollar Tree!}.



Necessity is the mother of invention. Where there is a will, there is a way...I was smart enough to get the brining bag, but not smart enough to think through where the brining bag was going to go with the turkey and all the liquid in it. And since my pot certainly wasn't big enough...let's just say, my kids were not too sure about my idea, because I definitely roped them into helping me hold the bag while I stuffed the turkey inside. But Mommy got 3 loud cheers when I accomplished my goal AND lifted it into the fridge, so... 



Mike was busy making his family's recipes for rolls and dressing. The kids were more than happy to help with that too, and they turned out great! Made with love :)






In the end, everything turned out great, we had a lovely Thanksgiving meal with wonderful company, and it was a great day of giving thanks for all the Lord has done. I'm thankful for sweet family traditions to pass down and start with our kiddos, and I am thankful for how the Lord is so faithful to take care of us all year long. Praise God from whom all blessings flow! :)



Happy Thanksgiving!


No comments:

Post a Comment