Sunday, March 22, 2020

Social Distancing :: Day 10

We are in such strange times. How quickly life can change, and how scary are all these unknowns??

Today is day 10 of our family's self-isolation and social distancing. We made the decision before a lot of the encouragement and warnings {and then subsequent shutdowns} came down, simply because I am immunocompromised. The medicine I take for Crohn's Disease is an immunosuppressant. My doctor encourages me to get the flu shot every year {which I do}, and I tend to use more caution than the average person during cold/flu season anyway. So when we started seeing the news come out of China and Italy, we made the decision to stay home. We wanted to play it safe, and then we just couldn't believe how quickly the whole world seemed to change overnight. 

Thankfully, I already work from home, and my role is still needed right now, even in this global pandemic. Mike already worked from home 2 days a week with his job. So the kids are already used to him having to go into another room to work. So adding the other 3 days of the week has not been that big of an adjustment for us. At least it hasn't been that big of an adjustment for the kids, and of course they love getting to have lunch with Daddy EVERY day. My introverted self is dealing with 100% never being alone now, but I am thankful that our family has the ability to stay home together, as I know not everyone can. 

In our normal daily rhythm, we actually stay home a lot. It's just the nature of having several small children {and an introverted Mama, ha!} So having to find activities to keep us busy all day long is pretty normal for us. Of course it's difficult not being able to go anywhere, but I am constantly having to find things to do to keep my kids occupied and from driving everyone {read: me} insane haha. We miss Bible study and playdates and going to the park {and Crayola. And the library}. We are sad that we had to cancel Grandma's most recent visit. It's inconvenient to have to cancel appointments and not really know when we can reschedule {my wisdom teeth removal, eye appointments for Eli and Maddie}, but I am thankful we are only having to worry about non-essential appointments, as I know so many are concerned about more serious health issues.

But I am thankful that this massive shutdown has not been a major shift in our family routine. I think that's part of what's keeping me semi-sane right now. My kids are just as crazy as ever, but they are also just as excited to get to play in the backyard and go on walks around the neighborhood. It's a good reminder to me that the simplicity of this season of life is good and healthy and needed. When I'm sad or envious or frustrated that we aren't doing "all the things" that everyone else is doing, I can remind myself that my kids just love being kids. 

I mention these things right now, because I want to have a record of this time, and I want to be sure I am focusing on all the ways the Lord is providing for us. Not everyone is having such a smooth transition to suddenly being home every day. Working parents are now having to juggle their jobs and homeschool in confined spaces and less than ideal working environments. Not every has a job where they can work from home, or employers willing to keep them on the payroll right now. Not every has the luxury of self-isolating because they are working on the front lines, caring for the sick and working tirelessly to keep us all fed. So sharing our circumstances is not meant to brag, and I pray it doesn't sound needlessly naive. It's only meant for me to keep my eyes on Jesus and how He is in control of ALL these circumstances.

We are trying to figure out what it looks like to be wise and safe, but also generous and loving. We DO believe that it is most loving to be home right now, to provide the best opportunity for the virus to slow and the most vulnerable to be safe. We DON'T believe the decision to stay home shows a lack of trust in God, but rather a love for our neighbors. But it would be so easy for me to hole up in my house and not come out until it's all over. And I don't think that's the right thing either. Because there are so many needs around us, and we have been given a set of circumstances that allows us to be generous and loving in different ways. We're still working on what that looks like, especially long term. But for now, it for sure includes continuing to lead and shepherd our community group from afar, checking on our neighbors, sharing what we have with those in need, and praying for those around us. 

I have so many thoughts right now on all that is happening in the world, but none of those thoughts are organized or succinct {or probably even important}. So for now, I will just provide a few updates on some of the things going on in our lives over the past 10 days. 


Family Walks.
We go on a lot of family walks, but we have definitely had an uptick of these in the last 10 days. Because it's the only way we can get out of the house! Our backyard is saturated with all the rain we have had, so our outside time has mainly been family walks. We are definitely looking forward to nicer {warmer} weather to do even more of this.



Neighborhood Community.
Our neighborhood has started organizing lots of things to provide things for kids to do {from a safe social distance}. Every few days, we have a theme to follow, where we put pictures in our windows of the designated theme so that families out on walks can go on a scavenger hunt to find as many as they can. We have hunted for shamrocks and silly faces so far, and we already have our animals ready for tomorrow. Next week we'll also be doing a neighborhood-wide chalking, where we place positive messages out in sidewalk chalk for people to read while they're out on their walks. And a local photographer is doing the #TheFrontStepsProject, which is basically a family photo session on your front porch {while she stands on your sidewalk or across the street}. She's doing this to provide for her family, but also to donate to domestic abuse victims. I know many neighborhoods are doing lots of similar things {and more}, I am just thankful to be a part of one.


Potty Training.
Because why not tackle potty training twins in the middle of a global pandemic?? It really is the best time to do this, since (a) I have basically avoided it, and (b) we have no place to go for the foreseeable future. Potty training is hard and time-consuming as it is. Double that {because I'm teaching them both right now}. And add in an Aiden :) But I am glad that Mike is here to help. I'm not exactly sure how things will go tomorrow when Mike actually has to work and I won't have the extra hands to take the other kid to the other toilet when they inevitably have to go at the same time {whether for real or because they're convinced that's how it works...because they're three}. Or when Aiden is getting into something in the other room while I am sitting with a kid in the bathroom. Wish us luck :)



No comments:

Post a Comment