Saturday, September 13, 2014

{30 Before 30} :: Get a McKinney Library Card and Use it

I have lived in McKinney for 3 years and only now just got a library card...I should probably clarify. I registered for a library card 3 years ago, and just now picked it up so I can actually go to the library and use it. Better late than never, right?? :)

As a kid I LOVED reading and going to the library. I was the kid that used to get in trouble for reading too much {as if that's a thing}...you know, staying up past my bedtime, using a flashlight under the covers...and pajama reading days at school were my all-time favorite! {do they still have those??}

And then college happened. College made me HATE reading and HATE libraries {late night study sessions in the back corner of Moody Library still give me nightmares}. So, as silly as it sounds, I have really struggled with finding my love for reading again.

With the goal to get a library card and read more this year, I have finally re-discovered my love for reading. I decided not to make a book list, so I didn't feel confined only to what I had committed to {remember 2013?} And that has worked well for me. If I see a book I'm interested in, I read it. I do have a list of books I'd like to read, but I only go to it if I can't decide on something. It's purely psychological, but whatever works, right?

Since the downtown library is close to my office, I will go on my lunch break to peruse the shelves, or just to set up camp and read. I also love that I can check out e-books from the library. So then I can read a few pages on my phone if I am waiting somewhere. And I have discovered Good Reads. Umm...hello. Genius!

I'm not a particularly fast reader {and I still struggle with finding enough time}, so I don't have this super long "done" list, but I am actually enjoying reading now...a huge step!


Here's to a lifelong love of reading! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment