Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Happy New Year!

We said goodbye to 2012 with some sweet friends, and it was a night filled with laughter and fun. We have missed many of these friends since moving to McKinney, but are so blessed to be able to spend sweet times with them when we can.

Yes, it was a plaid-themed party :)

Today I am curled up on the couch, sipping hot chocolate, and just enjoying a day off. I have been able to catch up on some reading and some emails, but am planning to spend the day resting. Which also gives me a good opportunity to reflect and plan for the new year :)

I am usually not one to make new years resolutions; not because I don't agree with them or have something against them. I simply just try to make resolutions as the Lord lays them on my heart; January 1 just seems so daunting sometimes so I try not to add the pressure of expectation. But with all the new changes around the corner, I feel like this is a good time for me to recalibrate and set some definitive goals to work toward in 2013.

Goal 1: Intentional and Deep Time in the Word
I have seriously neglected this time in recent months. It's the same old story...things get crazy and busy, the time slips away, I get lazy, etc. So my first commitment is to read through the Bible in a year. So help keep me accountable! :) I started my new Bible reading plan this morning, and I am really pumped about it. It's similar to reading plans I have done in the past, in that it takes a few chapters from the Old Testament, wisdom literature, the Gospels, and the New Testament each day. But it comes in this handy bookmark form so it can easily slip into my Bible to help me keep track.



Goal 2: More Intentional Prayer Time
I really don't mean to be cliche, but this is another one that I need to be more intentional about. I have been so humbled by the prayers that have been lifted up on our behalf, that it has challenged me to be more in prayer for others. With our Pray nine3eight campaign kicking off today (it's not too late to join us in committing to pray for 100 days!), it has challenged me to spend more time in specific and intentional prayer. As we move forward with our church plant, prayer will be such a vital component. I want to be a woman of prayer, for all aspects of our lives- the church plant, ministry, marriage, health, relationships.
Goal 3: Be the Best Matron of Honor I Can Be!
SO SO excited that 2013 will be filled with planning for Laura's wedding! :) I plan to take my MOH duties seriously and help her plan her special day however I possibly can. We are starting to schedule planning events, dress shopping, etc. and I cannot wait to get started. So excited for my sweet friend! :)

Goal 4: Become a Crohn's Expert
This one is kind of funny, but I am committing to learning any and all I can about this disease. I have signed up for newsletters and even downloaded a GI Buddy app to help track everything. It's still all a little surreal and strange...I mean, an app to track your symptoms? There truly is an app for everything ;) But I want to be proactive and get ahead of this as much as possible. I would certainly appreciate your prayers throughout this process, for wisdom and direction on knowing the best course of action. This goal also encompasses some overall health and fitness goals, as I seek to find ways to exercise and eat healthy to help manage my symptoms. I don't know what that looks like just yet, but I am committing to figuring it out!

Goal 5: Develop my Photography Skills
I have wanted to do this for awhile now. I took photography classes way back in high school and fell in love with it. For a long time I had an SLR camera, but ended up selling it because it was just too expensive to develop film. And who uses film these days anyway? ;) So part of my Christmas present from Mike is to start saving for a new DSLR camera! Part of my goal is to actually purchase a new camera, and then start tinkering with it. I'm not looking to be a fancy professional; but I do want to learn more and develop my skills. Even if it's just to take better pictures for my blog :)

Happy New Year!

Photobucket

No comments:

Post a Comment