Sunday, October 23, 2011

Married Life, Day #100

WHAT I'VE LEARNED IN 100 DAYS:

Living life with the one you love is fun :)
Someone to come home to, to share meals with, to go do things with, to wake up to...just live life together. I am so grateful for the time I had as a single person, and as much as the Lord used that time for His purposes, I love how the Lord has designed the marriage relationship. As Mike often says, it's comforting to know you have someone who is always in your corner. So true.

Marriage is for our good, but for God's glory.
While we do get to enjoy the good things of marriage through relationship and living life together, marriage is first and foremost for the glory of God even more than it is for our benefit or enjoyment. And for us, as sinners, that requires the [sometimes painful] revelation of our own sinful hearts. The Lord is constantly calling us to be conformed to the image of His Son, and marriage is just a sharpening tool to reveal and then deal with sin in our hearts. I love what Dave Harvey says in his book When Sinners Say I Do...
"Your spouse was a strategic choice made by a wise and loving God. Selected by Him, for you, from the beginning of the world, your spouse is an essential part of God's rescue mission for your life...realize that God is behind it all, revealing the familiar sin so that it might be overcome by amazing grace."
What a humbling thought that brings me to my knees in gratitude. To know that Mike is a gift from the Lord to draw us both closer to our Savior. I'm learning that I don't always love how my sinful heart responds. It's not that this doesn't happen in other relationships; I pray to have the kind of relationships in which it does. It's just that it's so intimate and so obvious in marriage. But praise God for His grace and for the beauty of a God-centered marriage that can often be that picture of grace if we allow the Lord to work in us for His glory.

I have SO much to learn.
Every day I am reminded of how little I really know of marriage, how much I have to learn about being a good wife. I want to love Mike well, to honor and support him in the ways he should be. Sometimes it can be overwhelming, and I often wonder why in the world he thought I would be a good choice haha. But I am learning a little each day, by God's grace and with Mike's patience.

Mike is awesome.
He just is. Every day I am reminded of how incredibly blessed I am to call him my husband. How much of a gift it is to have him by my side. He is the picture of patience and grace-filled love. He is constantly encouraging me, supporting me, challenging me. I couldn't have asked for a better man, and I am excited about what the Lord has to teach us both.

Happy 100 days, Babe! I love you SO much, and I'm praying we get to enjoy hundreds more together ;)

Photobucket

1 comment:

  1. This is so sweet. I love the serious side of this post too, that marriage is used by God to teach us. Hopefully someday I can write a post of my own like this! :)

    ReplyDelete