Thursday, July 9, 2009

Hiding God's Word in My Heart

While I am on break from BSF for the summer, I have been attending the girl's Bible study with my 20s group. It has been such a blessing to get into the Word with this amazing group of girls. Starting next week, we are starting a new series in the gospel of John. Go figure! That's what we are studying in BSF starting in September! So this will be a great way for me to get a head start on my reading/studying.

One of the things I am excited about is our group's commitment to scripture memory. I have to admit that is something I struggle with. I, sadly, have not made it a priority since I was in middle school, when we were required to memorize a verse a week for Bible class. I read my Bible, but I have been convicted lately on the fact that I don't actually take the time to commit verses to memory. We are so spoiled in America; Bibles are readily accessible. If you are like me, you have several Bibles...and several different versions, too. And yet, I can probably count on one hand the number of verses/passages that I can recite from memory. Maybe. How sad is that?

I can't even give a good excuse for why scripture memory is not included in my spiritual disciplines. I don't have time? Umm...no, if I have time to scrapbook or watch a TV show, then I have time to memorize a verse. I have to study/memorize too much for work? Well, then my brain should be exercised and ready for memorization. It takes too much effort? It doesn't take any effort at all to memorize a song. And really? How bad does it sound to say that it takes too much effort to hide God's Word in my heart?

This verse is so key: "How can a young woman keep her way pure? By living according to your Word. I seek you with all my heart; do not let me stray from your commands. I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you. Praise be to you, O Lord; teach me your decrees. With my lips I recount all the laws that come from your mouth. I rejoice in following your statutes as one rejoices in great riches. I meditate on your precepts and consider your ways. I delight in your decrees; I will not neglect your word." ~ Psalm 119:9-16

If I am serious about drawing closer to the heart of God, I have to start with His Word. I have to commit to hiding His Word in my heart, so that I can keep my way pure, that I might not sin against my God. So this week, we are focusing on memorizing Philippians 2:12-18. To provide some accountability, the rule is: if you don't memorize the passage, you have to SING it the next week to the group. Haha. That's good motivation to get started!

Therfore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed- not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence- continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to His good purpose. Do everything without complaining or arguing, so that you may become blameless and pure, children of God without fault in a crooked and depraved generation, in which you shine like stars in the universe as you hold out the word of life- in order that I may boast on the day of Christ that I did not run or labor for nothing. But even if I am being poured out like a drink offering on the sacrifice and service coming from your faith, I am glad and rejoice with all of you. So you too should be glad and rejoice with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment