Monday, May 29, 2006

Summer!

Summer is finally here! I have to say that there was a time when I thought it would never arrive. This past semester was quite challenging and I am so grateful that God has brought me through to yet another one. The weirdest part of everything...I am a senior! It's weird because I feel as though I was just a senior in high school and now I am in my last year of college. It's exciting and absolutely terrifying at the same time. Now more than ever, people ask, "So what are you going to do when you graduate?" I hate that question. I think it should be labeled a curse phrase. At least that's how I feel because I have no earthly clue what I want and/or will do after graduation. Of course I want to get a job. But doing what...I don't know. I have some ideas, but nothing I am completely sold on and nothing that is just magically working out for me.

That's part of what this summer is about. In case I didn't get a chance to enlighten you on my summer plans...I will be in Waco for the summer. That's right. Good ol' Waco, Texas. Not exactly my first choice, but somewhere I feel at peace about. Nothing exciting is planned... I am living and working at North Village as an OA and I have received a grand total of 12 hours to work that job. That few hours at the pay I will be receiving is not quite enough to pay the bills, so I am in search of a second job. I wanted to work at the event planning company that I was going to apply at in the fall, but they are full for the summer. Apparently, summer is not the time for internships for me. Sigh. Oh well. What do you do? For me, I go find a random summer job. I applied to a number of places and today I will begin the task of hunting down another job. If you think about it, please pray for that provision.

In addition to working as an OA and at some random place, I will also be taking summer school. The first summer session, I will be appreciating art at MCC. The second, I will be praying that I remember more Spanish than I think I do. I have this awful feeling that the professor will just start talking in Spanish and I won't have a clue what he's saying. It's been awhile folks and I am a little more than rusty. If anyone would like to help in the tutoring department...that would be helpful. It's so sad. I am hispanic and am nowhere near fluent. It's pitiful- I am an embarassment to my race. Oh well. Although, Gilbert (one of the OA's I am working with) says that it's excusable because I am only half hispanic. I guess that makes me feel better...not really, but he was just trying to be sweet.

So those are my summer plans in a nutshell: work and school in Waco. Some of the great aspects of being in Waco for the summer (and you thought there was no such thing. I will be able to spend time with my sweet friends Nicki and Laura. We are all so busy during the regular school year, that it will be nice to have more time to hang out with them. I also know many of the staff I am working with at North Village and will have the opportunity to get to know more of them. Everyone seems really great and I am excited about getting to know them better. I have a great roommate- Samantha. I liked her the instant I met her and I am excited about living with her this summer. I am also super excited about being with the college group at Highland. It's a lot smaller during the summer so you can actually get to know people, whereas it is much harder to do that during the year. I will finally be able to get closer to my college pastor and I am looking forward to just soaking in all that God has to teach me this summer.

I predict this will be a summer of growth for me. I am actually excited about being in Waco, Texas for the summer....words very few ever utter. My plans were not God's plans this summer. As a matter of fact, my plans are hardly ever God's plans. I know that there is a reason I did not get any of the internships I wanted. I can't see why right now, but I am trusting that God has something better for me this summer. Yes, something better even in Waco, Texas.


Currently Reading: Women of the Bible, by Ann Spangler and Jean E. Syswerda

No comments:

Post a Comment