Friday, December 23, 2022

Crohn's Chronicles :: Normal Again

I recently blogged about all of my insurance woes. I am happy to report that the Lord has provided, and the insurance approved my medication! My GI did have to submit additional paperwork, but thankfully insurance approved it without having to go into a full blown review. So I was able to get and take my next dose in time, so I can stay on track {at least for another 6 months until we do it again haha}. Praise God for His care and provision!

I am so thankful for a GI who sees my individual case and takes the time to step in to make things happen. He knew it was insurance's problem, but that I, as his patient, was in need. I have struggled with his office staff, but I am really thankful for him.

I did some more routine lab work to see where my numbers were. And the Lord has continued to provide...all of my numbers are back in normal range! C-Reactive protein, calprotectin {both inflammation markers}, iron and vitamins. Normal. I cried when I got the news. All of my numbers are normal for the first time in 3 years!!

For reference:
May 2020 {6 months active symptoms, first lab confirmation of active Crohn's}: over 3000
Dec 2020 {6 months on Entyvio, active symptoms}: 1072
May 2021 {12 months on Entyvio, active symptoms}: 322
Dec 2021 {6 months on Stelara at 8-week dose, improving but still active symptoms}: 166
Dec 2022 {6 months on Stelara at 4-week dose}: 63


Only a colonoscopy can confirm remission, and my GI won't do that until the spring {since I am feeling better}. But this is the closest I have felt in 3 years, and normal lab work is definitely a positive sign! It's possible that some of my remaining symptoms have to do with the iron supplements I was taking; thankfully I can stop taking those, so hopefully I'll see improvement there. If not, I might try some probiotics. In some ways, my GI tract has to "relearn" how to function normally. Now that inflammation has healed, it can finally start to do that. 

And I still have to figure out my migraines. My GI suggested I go see a neurologist, so that's on my list for 2023. He is in full agreement that I should really try to avoid another medication, but also knows that I need more than just Tylenol for relief. So we'll see if we can get that resolved soon too. 

So now it's a matter of maintaining my Stelara doses, letting my GI tract relearn how to function normally, addressing the migraines, managing some of the lingering effects of long term inflammation {gums}, and monitoring risks associated with Stelara {skin issues}. We. Are. Getting. There.

Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow.


No comments:

Post a Comment