Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Saying Goodbye to My Grandma

Yesterday, we said goodbye to my grandma, my dad's mom.

Just like with my grandpa {to whom we said goodbye last August}, she actually passed in June, but because of COVID and the backup at Fort Sam Houston, the funeral was delayed several weeks. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to make it in to be at the funeral in person, but I was able to "attend" the service online. I'm really thankful I got to give my dad a hug last week.

My grandma was a faithful military wife, traveling overseas with kiddos {my dad, the youngest, was born in Germany}, but finally making a home in San Antonio. She worked for the Baptist Memorial Hospital System in various administrative roles. She was just as much a cat lover as my grandpa was, but she really just loved animals, often sharing animal stories with us growing up. My grandma was a very serious woman, so I cherish the few photos I have of her smiling :)


iCelebrating 60 years together...when Mike first went home to San Antonio with me!




My grandma suffered with Alzheimer's Disease, which was so very hard. While she may not have recognized her grandkids and great-grandkids, we faithfully sent pictures and shared stories with her. With all of the COVID restrictions in place for visiting, we were only able to visit through the window and videos, but I am thankful that she felt safe with the caregivers in her senior living facility. As terrible as the disease is, I am glad that she wasn't missing us in many of the traditional ways.

Losing a family member is always difficult, but in many ways there had already been a {years-long} grieving process with my grandma because of her Alzheimer's. This is the second grandparent I have lost, within 8 months. That has been especially difficult for my dad, losing both of his parents this year. But I am thankful that my parents were able to be with her, holding her hand at the end. I am thankful that both of my grandparents lived good, long lives {both 90!}, and that I got to see my grandma in August when I went to San Antonio for my grandpa's funeral.


No comments:

Post a Comment