Saturday, January 2, 2021

2020 Book List

I set my goal at 50 books this year, and I was happy to exceed it and read 55! I like that reading is a consistent part of my routine again. My stack of books to read just keeps growing and growing...   :)



1. American Predator: The Hunt for the Most Meticulous Serial Killer of the 21st Century by Maureen Callahan // I started the year with a pretty interesting true crime read. This is the story of a prolific serial killer in Alaska, and it was terrifying. How he got away with things, how incompetent local law enforcement was...it kept me up at night.

2. The Great Pretender: The Undercover Mission That Changed Our Understanding of Madness by Susannah Cahalan // This book was interesting...except when it wasn't. The premise was really intriguing. But that actual execution did not meet expectations. The author was critiquing an unfinished, unpublished work, and so much was just her speculating wildly about Rosenhan and his actual "study." There was very little information about the eight pseudopatients' actual time in the mental hospitals; very few descriptions were given, so it wasn't as groundbreaking/enlightening as the author claimed. I had a really hard time finishing this one.

3. Something in the Water by Catherine Steadman // Another psychological thriller that seemed to fall flat. I don't know why I keep reading these; I obviously like them more than my ratings seem to tell. This was just so out of left field; the plot line was so crazy. It was entertaining enough to finish, but I kept thinking, "surely this is going to go somewhere and this character won't make any more ridiculous decisions..." Also, there was a lot of language. Won't be reading anything else by this author.

4. What is a Girl Worth? My Story of Breaking the Silence and Exposing the Truth about Larry Nassar and USA Gymnastics by Rachael Denhollander // Her story is so heartbreaking but powerful. I really appreciated this memoir, how she shared her trauma, her faith, her healing with the world. Such a strong young woman.

5. #IMomSoHard by Kristen Hensley and Jen Smedley // Meh. I wanted to like this book, because I wanted a good laugh. But it just didn't do it for me. There was a lot of language and {in my opinion} inappropriate content {it's not a Christian book, so that's not a surprise}, and I just didn't find it that funny.

6. Dear Sully by Jill Cox // This is book #3 in my dear friend's book series! It's written in epistolary format, and is Pete's side of the story. A fun way to round out this sweet little series. Again, this is not my preferred genre {sweet/clean romance}, but she has definitely won me over...and I don't just say that because she's my friend :)

7. The Call of the Wild + Free by Ainsley Arment // This was a random book for me to pick up, because I actually don't have much intention of homeschooling my kids. But it was recommended to me by a friend, so I thought I'd see what it was about. She is obviously passionate about homeschooling {which is great!}, but she makes a lot of claims about education without much evidence/backing. It's mostly just examples of her own experience, which unfortunately speaks from a fairly classist viewpoint. If you are already desiring to homeschool, then this might be worth a read to get an overview of a more open, unstructured education {particularly the Wild + Free methods}. I wouldn't say it is a good resource to argue for homeschooling.

8. The Plea by Steve Cavanagh // This is book #2 of the Eddie Flynn series, and I enjoyed this one too! Again, it definitely has a Law and Order meets Mafia vibe, but I think the author does a really great job of bringing the story together without making it too cheesy. So if this genre is your jam, I highly recommend!

9. Thirteen by Steve Cavanagh // Book #3 of the Eddie Flynn series. I think this was by far my favorite in the series. It had less of the Mafia aspect, so that was probably the reason. The tagline alone caught my attention, and this book didn't disappoint: "The serial killer isn't on trial. He's on the jury." Supposedly there's a 4th book that was published in Britain before this one, and I want to get my hands on a copy!

10. Where the Crawdads Sing by Delia Owens // This was such an interesting read. It was a story of survival, love, loss, loneliness, prejudice, resiliency...so many things! It started off a little slow, but I am glad I stuck with it. The "twist" at the end was not at all surprising, but it was enough of a good story that I didn't mind.

11. Peaceful Parent, Happy Kid by Laura Markham // This book was a good reminder on connecting with your child and focusing on their emotional intelligence. It was one of the few parenting books that made sure to remind THE PARENT of their own responses {rather than just focusing on the child's}. But there were also some questionable things that I was unable to get on board with: scheduling meltdowns, assuming all timeouts mean hardening your heart to your child {I personally don't use timeouts in that way}, and just overall ignoring the nature of sin in a child {sometimes your kid isn't acting out because they need connection, they're acting out because they're sinning haha}. This wasn't a Christian parenting book, but that's how I will always filter information. So like with all parenting books, my advice is always: take the good, leave the rest. 

12. One of Us is Lying by Karen M. McManus // The concept of this book was really interesting. A group of kids in detention find themselves in the middle of a murder investigation when one of the students dies with the others in the room. While it kept me interested enough to finish, I will say that it is definitely written for young adults {I knew that going in}, and the ending was not a surprise to me. Would recommend to teens, or those that like reading young adult fiction. Adults would find it enjoyable, just know that you will read a lot of whiny teenage dialogue :)

13. The Whisper Man by Alex North // This book in one word: chilling. I haven't read a suspense book like this in a long time...like, stay awake reading under the covers, but feeling all the prickly feelings, thinking the boogeyman is going to get me, kind of reading haha! The ending fell a little flat, given the suspense throughout the whole book, but the author knows how to write suspense without it being contrived or too forced. That's pretty rare. I look forward to reading his forthcoming book.

14. Oh Crap! Potty Training by Jamie Glowacki // With our COVID-19 social distancing, we decided to tackle potty training. Overall, I liked her strategy. It was straightforward, organized, and simple. But be prepared for her snark and harshness. She is passionate about her method and she has little patience for deviation or grace. There is very little actual research for some of her claims {exact potty training time-frame or bed-wetting inevitability...insert eye-roll}, outside of her own experience. Which I don't completely dismiss, but we didn't follow everything like she insisted and did just fine.

15. The No-Cry Potty Training Solution by Elizabeth Pantley // This book was the exact opposite of #14 haha. All the things that #14 said to absolutely NOT do...this book said do it. Definitely less organized, but it offered a whole lot more grace. She had a section on twins, which I was excited about, but it was less than helpful {basically she said don't train them at the same time. right}. It convinced me to find a happy middle between the two books :)

16. She Said by Jodi Kantor and Megan Twohey // This book was the story of the journalistic investigation behind exposing the sexual harassment and misconduct of Harvey Weinstein. While it covered an important topic, it was not really compelling. The investigation was interesting, but how it was presented was pretty repetitive. And then the authors switched directions and started describing the allegations made against supreme court nominee Brett Kavanaugh, ending with a strange living room meeting of several of the journalists' sources. I think the intended desire of connecting all of it to the #MeToo movement just fell short.

17. The Only Plane in the Sky: An Oral History of 9/11 by Garrett M. Graff // This was such a powerful read. I did listen to the audio version, and I think that made it that much more powerful. The author does an artful job of telling the entire story of the events of 9/11 through the testimony of the ones who lived it. I felt like I was there that day, and I cried several times. Highly recommend.

18. The Holdout by Graham Moore // This was an interesting read! The lone holdout juror who was able to flip the entire jury and exonerate a man accused of murder finds herself facing her own murder charge 10 years later when one of the former jurors is found dead in her hotel room. There were definitely some parts of the story that were far-fetched, but it didn't change the pace or interest of the book. 

19. The I-5 Killer by Ann Rule // I have read a few of Ann Rule's true crime thrillers and have really found them interesting. This one was not my favorite one. It was somewhat repetitive, and I found the details disturbing {which I understand is a funny thing to say about a true crime thriller}. Perhaps it was how the same details were repeated over and over, but I just didn't get into this one as much.

20. Weird Parenting Wins by Hillary Frank // I appreciated this book because it wasn't like all the others; it didn't tout one right way to parent. Instead, it's just a bunch of snippets of parenting hacks, those strokes of genius that parents have in a moment of desperation. Some of the ideas I thought were funny and pure genius. Some made me shake my head and helped me understand why so many people are messed up and entitled. So, take it or leave it. It was ok.

21. Green River, Running Red by Ann Rule // Another true crime novel about the Green River Killer. This was very victim-centric, which in a way made it less disturbing than #19. It wasn't any less sad, especially given how prolific this serial killer was. But it was more about each individual victim's life, rather than inside the mind of the killer {though that was there at the very end}. I wished the author didn't talk so much about how much she researched, how many books she had written, how she was an amazing help to police by being a tip-taker; just seemed self-serving and unnecessary. Since it took over 20 years to identify the killer, there were a lot of suspects they pursued along the way. And I walked away from this book thinking there are A LOT of weirdos out there.

22. The Color of Compromise: The Truth About the American Church's Complicity in Racism by Jemar Tisby // The topics/premise of this book are important, and I absolutely believe "Christians" have had an embarrassing, even sickening, history with racism {overt or otherwise}. The author gives a history of racism in America, including examples of how the "church" was complicit. There were absolutely grievous examples. But more often than not, I found myself unable to see the link, feeling like I was reading an incomplete history, or feeling as though too much of a complex situation was blamed on "silent Christians." I was also disappointed in this book from a biblical standpoint. No actual biblical definition of justice was given, and the author used very little Scripture and/or biblical arguments for his action steps. The gospel, and how to apply it to healing racism, was very much absent from this book. 

23. The Bone Collector by Jeffery Deaver // This was an interesting mystery/crime novel. The main character was wholly unlikeable...and yet, I found him interesting. It was far-fetched for the whole story to have taken place in just a few days, but I enjoyed the criminology and history woven into the story. I would read the next one to see where it goes.

24. The Stranger Beside Me: Ted Bundy: The Shocking Inside Story by Ann Rule // This book was actually disappointing to me. If you don't know anything about the Ted Bundy murders, this could be a good intro to his crimes. But this is far from a "shocking inside story." Even though the author knew him, I don't feel like her perspective offered any additional insight into who he was. I think she was just trying to capitalize on the fact that she knew him {really, she just volunteered with him for a period of time}. 

25. Gospel-Centered Mom by Brooke McGlothlin // So. Good. This is less of a practical parenting book, but more of a foundational parenting book. But it is saturated in the gospel, and I really appreciated her perspective. I appreciate how she encourages moms to recognize that they will never be enough, and that our power comes from Christ alone. It's not a fluffy, "feel good" mom book, but a meaty, biblically-grounded one. I highly recommend this one.

26. Simplicity Parenting: Using the Extraordinary Power of Less to Raise Calm, Happier, and More Secure Kids by Kim John Payne and Lisa M. Ross // I really liked this book. I think it's the first {secular} parenting book that I really appreciated. It had such a balanced approach; the author is not touting one way, all or nothing. Instead, he provides multiple examples of how to start small and make simplification work for your family. I probably appreciated it more because I felt validated in some of our own choices in parenting, but I really do think this book was helpful {and non-judgmental}. 

27. The Coffin Dancer by Jeffery Deaver // This is book #2 in the Lincoln Rhyme mystery/crime series. This one was a little strange, and I had a hard time deciding if I liked it or not. It started off pretty slow, but finally picked up about halfway through. I liked the story, specifically how it kept me guessing. But I realized that the characters seemed off; meaning, the characters acted different in this story than they did in the first book. Which is so strange. I might try the next book to see where it goes.

28. The Masterpiece by Francine Rivers // It has been a long time since I have read a book by this author. It was a quick {though long} read, and overall, it kept my attention. The characters were interesting, sometimes, and sometimes they were incredibly flat. I personally struggled with some of the cheesiness {how spiritual conversations are presented, how easily the conversions come, etc.}, but if you enjoy Christian fiction, this is a great story of redemption and salvation. 

29. Introverted Mom by Jamie C. Martin // I was excited when I saw this title; I feel like I have struggled the most with reconciling motherhood with my introverted personality. So I probably put too many expectations on this book, but I was wholly disappointed in this book. There was very little practical advice on mothering as an introvert, and the author seemed to think that all introverts were shy, homebody tea-drinkers. It just seemed so one-dimensional. The most disappointing thing is that this book is supposed to be from a Christian perspective, and it just felt like another self-help book. There was very little Scriptural substance; it was all fluff. It made me so sad. I do not recommend this book.

30. The Last House Guest by Megan Miranda // This book was ok. The story was intriguing, but the characters were flat. It kept me just interested enough to finish, so I would mark this as a mindless beach read, but nothing more.

31. The Empty Chair by Jeffery Deaver // Book #3 in the Lincoln Rhyme series. I liked this story; there were a lot of twists and turns, so it kept me guessing the whole time. I am still confused by the characters, as they don't seem to act 100% true to their character in each book. It's very strange. So I am trying to just read/see them as separate books, not connected in a series.

32. Coronavirus and Christ by John Piper // This was a short read. Honestly? Take this book for what it is: a high overview framework for processing a world pandemic {or insert whatever disaster or suffering you face} through a Reformed theological lens. Do I wish it was more in-depth? Yes. Do I think there should be some additions to it now that we are 3 months further along into the pandemic? Yes. Do I wish that more empathy and compassion was highlighted as part of a Christian response to the coronavirus? Yes. But I don't think that was the original intention of the book, and it should just be a stepping stone to processing all this craziness. From that standpoint, I highly recommend it.

33. White Awake: An Honest Look at What It Means to Be White by Daniel Hill // I thought this was a thoughtful book, presented with humility and grace. He traces a path through cultural awakening, helping the reader process their understanding of their own white privilege. While I would caution the reader not to dive too far into Critical Race Theory {as some may be prone to read that into the text}, I do appreciate the author's willingness to ask hard questions, reveal sin, and address the need for gospel transformation. 

34. In His Image: 10 Ways God Calls Us to Reflect His Character by Jennifer Wilkin // Another solid read by this author. The chapters read more quickly than her first attributes book {None Like Him}, but they are still filled with so much insight and depth. There are reflection/discussion questions at the end of each chapter, so it's a good book to walk through for group discussion. It is a good foundational reminder of how we can answer the ever-present question "what is God's will for my life?"

35. Three Makes Baby: How to Parent Your Donor Conceived Child by Jana M. Rupnow // This was a hard one to rate. There was some good information in this book. But it was disorganized, REPETITIVE, and way over-simplified. It was a quick read, so it's definitely endure-able...but I just wish that there was better material for this subject matter. Unfortunately this is kind of it for this arena, so I want to give it enough props, simply because the information is desperately needed. It's just frustrating that it wasn't presented better. Rant aside...this book offers a good baseline for those considering egg/sperm/embryo donation. There are good questions to work through, and some information on how to talk with your kids about their origins. I wish there was more info on that last piece, rather than a short chapter.

36. A Snowflake Named Hannah: Ethics, Faith, and the First Adoption of a Frozen Embryo by John Strege // If you are interested in Embryo Adoption, this is a good book. It shares the personal story of the first family to pioneer the "adoption" of frozen embryos. It walks through their personal journey, particularly how they became advocates for Embryo Adoption and the sanctity of life. Of course, we have a vested interest in the story, as we used the same agency from which the first snowflake baby {Hannah} was born. 

37. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens // I felt a strange desire to read a classic. And I chose this one because I heard that it was one of Charles Dickens' easier reads. I give it credit for its writing. But I just didn't love the story. It was hard to finish, and really the only reason I did was because I felt like I needed to {??}. Did not meet my expectations...

38. The Stone Monkey by Jeffery Deaver // Book #4 in the Lincoln Rhyme series. Characters didn't change this time, but the writing style did haha. But I still enjoyed the story- these are {for the most part} clean books, and I enjoy the detailed forensics. I'll keep reading the series to see how the author continues to evolve.

39. Why Are All the Blacks Kids Sitting Together in the Cafeteria? And Other Conversations About Race by Beverly Daniel Tatum // While I didn't agree with everything in this book, and I was confused by the author's seeming push to encourage racial segregation, I found the information helpful. The 20th Anniversary edition was helpful, as it presented updated information, relevant to the current culture in the U.S. The book itself was very well written and well-organized, which, in itself, deserves extra props. I think this is a good book to start conversations on race, as well as get a good overall picture of how race plays a part in communities of color.

40. The Vanished Man by Jeffery Deaver // Book #5 in the Lincoln Rhyme series. This one was interesting as I learned about the world of illusion, but the story had too many twists and turns. It was a confusing string of "look over here," and "oh no, look over here!" So this book got my lowest rating of the series so far. I really hope this isn't the downfall of the series, and that this was just a blip on the radar...

41. Britt-Marie Was Here by Fredrik Backman // A quirky story about starting over and learning to grow and change. At times, Britt-Marie was hilariously charming, but others her oddities grated just a little too much. It was a strange, but interesting story, taking place in a dying town. With the help of the town's children, a rat, and other assorted characters, Britt-Marie has to learn how to move past her OCD ways. Overall light-hearted, there were a few pretty heavy events that seemed a sharp contrast to the book's tone. It was marketed as one of the author's better books, though I personally enjoyed his others more. But I still think it's charming enough to read.

42. Sworn to Silence by Linda Castillo // This was a really good page-turning thriller. Former Amish woman turned cop who returns to her hometown. Serial killer terrorizing the community, which unearths secrets from the past. It was one of those "stay up late, hide under the covers to finish it" kind of book. It felt very familiar, so I'm pretty sure it was a Lifetime movie at some point haha. It made me want to immediately grab the next book in the series. Warning: a lot of language, graphic descriptions of the crimes, one sexual scene {obvious, though not overly explicit}. 

43. Pray for Silence by Linda Castillo // After the first book {#42}, I was excited to continue reading about police chief Kate Burkholder, but this one was a flop for me, particularly after the first book. Too much personal drama {police chief acted overly emotional, acting rashly and unprofessional at every turn}. Too much repetition {some of the same descriptions, phrases, thoughts were repeated over and over. And over and over}. It made the story too drawn out, without ever really going anywhere.

44. Breaking Silence by Linda Castillo // I decided to keep going in the series, because a lot of reviews say it's worth reading book #4, and I can't not read them in order. This one was better than the second book {#43}, but still not as good as the first {#42}. The police chief was still a little emotional for my taste, but it wasn't as bad, and the book overall was less repetitive. I do appreciate the storylines, which are set in small town, Amish country.

45. Furious Hours: Murder, Fraud, and the Last Trial of Harper Lee by Casey Cep // This book was thoroughly researched, and the author presented the information well. Personally, I found the content a little boring {but that's totally a preference}. I listened to the audio book on a road trip to and from San Antonio, and I don't know if I could have sat down and read the physical book...it wasn't overly long, but there was a lot of information. I did find the parts about Harper Lee's life interesting, but that was only on the back half of the book.

46. Gone Missing by Linda Castillo // So I made it to book #4 in the Kate Burkholder series. And while it wasn't terrible, I don't think it lived up to its hype. So I don't think I will be continuing this series.

47. Adventuring Together: How to Create Connections and Make Lasting Memories with Your Kids by Greta Eskridge // I really enjoyed this book. It was a bit repetitive, and most of her suggestions revolved around hiking/camping/outdoor adventures, but overall, I really liked the premise of the book. I appreciated how she encouraged small adventures, and even said that indoor adventures and reading books count! I certainly want to instill those family connections and memories in my kids, so I thought this was a good book to get started. Our family took a big leap this year in moving to Virginia, so we have started a grand adventure in another state. So reading this book right before we left was good. 

48. The Coddling of the American Mind: How Good Intentions and Bad Ideas Are Setting Up a Generation for Failure by Jonathan Haidt and Greg Lukianoff // I found this book SO interesting. It focused mainly on the shift on college campuses to a place of "safe spaces" instead of "free speech," but also expanded the basic ideas to society in general. It unpacks three great untruths that iGen has embraced, and how those untruths have created fragile young people. It focuses on rising rates of depression and anxiety, and how specifically social media plays a part in that, and it also walks through varying social trends that have played a part in creating a fragile generation. While you may not agree with all of the arguments, many of them are quite compelling.

49. Little Women by Louisa May Alcott // I wanted to revisit this old classic, and I am so glad I did! It has been over a decade since I last read it, but I have always enjoyed this story. It was fun to dive back into the lives of the March sisters.

50. The Guest List by Lucy Foley // This was borderline edgy for me {read: language, sexuality}, but I thought it was a unique twist on the thriller/mystery genre. It was refreshing to have a storyline that didn't seem completely predictable. I would like to try another book by this author; I will just have to see how racy her content gets. So frustrating, because I liked her writing!

51. Before You Vote: Seven Questions Every Christian Should Ask by David Platt // HIGHLY recommend this book! It's a quick read, and is definitely high level {I would have loved for a little more depth, just from a selfish standpoint}, but completely thorough. He poses 7 questions that every Bible-believing, Gospel-embracing follower of Christ should ask before they vote, and I found them really helpful. He really did well to remain biblically faithful and not show support or disdain for any candidate.

52. White Fragility: Why It's So Hard for White People to Talk About Racism by Robin DiAngelo // I read this book because of how popular and controversial it is right now. While it is important to learn and talk about racism, I do not believe this book is a good resource. The author fails to provide a factual history of racism and even changes the very definition of racism, arguing over semantics to fit her agenda. Her "evidence" of racism consists entirely of personal anecdotes {in my opinion, she needs new friends}, and the whole book is stuck in circular reasoning. She also offers contradictory advice throughout {feel grief over racism, but don't show it or you are racist; speak out about racism, but if you are white, don't, because then you're racist}. It offers no real way for a white person to learn and grow, instead placing the white reader in a Kafka trap. The very fact that I am criticizing the book and questioning its underlying assumptions would categorize me as racist, by this author's definition.

53. How to Be a Perfect Christian: Your Comprehensive Guide to Flawless Spiritual Living // I really like reading articles from the Babylon Bee, a satirical site, so I thought it would be fun to read the book. You definitely have to appreciate sarcasm and satire, as this is an entire book devoted to it. But if that's your thing, you will find this book highly amusing. It bordered on too much {the short articles are just right}, but I still enjoyed this book.

54. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle // I decided to read this classic, even though it was a little bit different of a genre than I usually pick. The story wasn't terrible, but I just didn't fall in love with it. I can at least check it off my list.

55. The Twelfth Card by Jeffery Deaver // I decided to pick up the next book in the Lincoln Rhyme series, and I was so disappointed in this one. I wanted to quit reading multiple times, and probably should have. The story was so bizarre and confusing. Nothing connected, and the main characters were an afterthought in the plot. It was so strange. I hope this was just the one flop in the group and it's not a trend this author takes in future books.

-------

Books I started but didn't finish:
  • The Five: The Untold Lives of the Women Killed by Jack the Ripper by Hallie Rubenhold // I'm not really sure why I picked this book up in the first place. I read about the first woman, and then just realized I wasn't interested enough to finish the book. I'm sure some people would find this interesting, it just wasn't for me, and I wasn't really wanting to commit to the full book.
  • Letters from a Skeptic: A Son Wrestles with His Father's Questions About Christianity by Dr. Gregory A. Boyd & Edward K. Boyd // I really wanted to like this book; it was an interesting format to have letters back and forth from a Christian son to his agnostic dad. I really wanted to get through this book {I tried for months}, but I just couldn't. It was too long, too repetitive, and there were too many theological questions for me. Some of it was good from an apologetics standpoint. Some of it wasn't. And I just didn't find it convincing. I wouldn't hand this to an unbeliever at all. I'm glad his dad found Jesus, but this book wasn't super helpful. 
  • The Meaning of Marriage: A Couple's Devotional by Tim and Kathy Keller // We worked through most of this devotional together, but gave up somewhere in October. We really appreciate the writings and teachings of Tim Keller, but we were pretty disappointed in this book. I guess it just wasn't what we expected. While it was good that we were in devoted time of reflection and prayer together over our marriage, we didn't find this particular book beneficial. 
  • Beautiful Boy by David Sheff // I really tried to make it through this memoir, but I just couldn't. Maybe it was because I was listening to the audio book, I'm not sure. It just wasn't for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment