Sunday, February 24, 2019

Double Trouble


Sigh.

We have entered into what I like to call a "Double Trouble" stage. Eli and Maddie are testing their limits as two year olds, and they are into everything. If it all of a sudden gets quiet...that's not good. If I hear them in another room giggling together...that's not good. It means they are getting into some kind of trouble. Most of it is curiosity and just playful, but it almost always involves a mess of some sort. In the moment, it can be frustrating, but I can't help but laugh at some of their antics.

So what kind of trouble are they getting into these days?

...pull up a chair to the front door to unlock it {they haven't opened it yet, but that's not far. and we are definitely securing the doors better}

...stand on top of a LEGO table to reach boxes of crinkle paper on top of the bar counter, and then proceed to spread it ALL over the house

...drag Sasha's blankets from the laundry room to their room and then pull out all the diapers and clothes from their dresser {pictured above}

...pull out all of the clean, newly-folded clothes from the laundry basket

...climb up on top of the kitchen table {I found Eli standing on top of the table and nearly had a heart attack}

...play in the toilet {because, why not?}

...pull out the stuffing from a stuffed monkey and throw it all over the backseat of the car {I'm still finding stuffing in the backseat}

...rip out pages from a book and scatter them all around the house

...getting into the pantry and pulling out all the straws, Ziploc bags, foil, parchment paper, etc. {note: we have baby gates around our kitchen, so in theory they shouldn't be able to get in to the kitchen}


And lest you think I am just not paying attention to them, just know that they are QUICK. If I run to the bathroom, or put Aiden down for a nap {which takes as long as it takes to sing "Jesus Loves Me"}, I come back and they are into something. They also take the opportunity to cause trouble when I am feeding Aiden. They KNOW when I am otherwise occupied. And they definitely encourage each other. I haven't identified just one instigator; they both seem to instigate their fair share of trouble. I shudder to think of the trouble they could get into if I wasn't paying attention to them...

So needless to say, they are spending a lot of time in time-out these days. I have to keep from laughing when they are both in timeout, trying to tell me in their sweet voices they will "obey, mama. peease. yes, mama"  {translation: I will obey, mama. Please let me out of time-out. Yes, I understand}.

They definitely keep me on my toes!


No comments:

Post a Comment