Saturday, August 19, 2017

That Time Jesus Healed My Tumor

I briefly mentioned a couple of months ago that I have had some more health issues come up. And I promised to update when I had some more information. Sorry it has taken so long, but there were a lot of doctors and tests to get through. Everything has come back, and I am just in awe of all that the Lord has done in 4 short months!

So just a little background on what has been going on...

In April, I had some blood work done after I had been experiencing some postpartum issues {completely unrelated to this and resolved separately}. It showed an elevated prolactin level {and I was no longer breastfeeding}, so my OB sent me for an MRI. At the time, I thought it was overkill, but my husband {who was right} made me go, because I didn't think I needed to :) 

The MRI showed that I had a pituitary macro adenoma, a large tumor on my pituitary gland {mine was 12mm}. Tumors sound scary. Tumors in your brain sound even scarier...and trust me I was scared! So the next 4 months were filled with appointments; I saw a neurosurgeon, an endocrinologist, and a neuro-opthamologist. I had multiple hormone and vision tests done. 

Along the way, I learned a few things about pituitary tumors: 
  • They are not actually classified as brain tumors {the pituitary gland is at the base of your brain, behind your eyes}
  • They don't really know what causes them; they're just abnormal growths. 
  • 99% of these tumors are benign, so cancer was never part of the conversation.
  • The concern is more for headaches, vision loss, and impaired pituitary function {which can cause other major health problems}.
  • Prolactinomas {prolactin-producing tumors} can be treated with medication; non-functioning pituitary adenomas are usually treated with surgery.

Thankfully, all of my testing came back normal; I wasn't experiencing any vision loss and/or underlying hormonal issues. I also learned that mine was not a prolactinoma, so medication was not an option to treat it. My elevated prolactin level could have been from the tumor pressing on my pituitary gland {stalk effect}. I was sent back to the neurosurgeon to discuss next steps.

I had a repeat MRI a few weeks ago to check the status of the tumor. Because all of my hormone and vision levels came back normal, I was gearing up for a conversation about surgery. These tumor are usually slow growing, but we didn't want my headaches to increase or my vision to be affected. I had done my research, and Mike and I were preparing for what recovery would look like {with 2 babies}. I had already made my peace with what the Lord had laid before us, and really was just ready to get the surgery date set and done.

So when the neurosurgeon walked in and said, "you are fine; this is nothing," I was shocked. And a little confused. This was not the conversation I was expecting, the conversation for which I had prepared. He said that the MRI was showing that the tumor was only 2 to 3mm and looked more like a cyst at this point. He said there was no need for surgery, and he wouldn't expect there ever to be a need for surgery. He was not worried in the slightest and told me that I shouldn't worry either. He wants me to have another MRI in a year, just to check on it again, but there was no need to take any action right now.

So I had a large tumor at the base of my brain 4 months ago...and now I don't.

The neurosurgeon went on with a lot of medical speak for why it might be a small one now, or it might not be a tumor at all, but none of it mattered. Because I know that my God healed it. I shouldn't have been surprised by this, but admittedly, I was. To be honest, I hadn't even really asked Him to heal it. Others had, and I am so grateful for their faithful prayers. Instead, I had just prayed for wisdom and strength to face this new health issue. It was just the next in a long line of health issues I expect in my lifetime. 

I never had any doubt that God could heal the tumor; I absolutely believe He has the power to do that. I just never thought He would. You see, for so long, I have prayed for God to heal my health issues {Crohn's, endometriosis, infertility, etc}, and His answers up to this point have always been "no" or "I have a different plan for you." I have processed through that with Him, and I am learning to trust that He is good, despite not receiving the answers I want. And I often daydream about the day when my body will be healed and whole. 

But somewhere along the way, I had just forgotten that sometimes He says "yes" and actually performs the unbelievable and allows us to experience the impossible. How great is our God??

If this post had been an update on the size of my tumor and how I was heading to surgery, He would still be worthy of all praise. He would still be God, He would still be good, and He would still deserve all the glory. But because I have personally experienced and witnessed the healing of a tumor, I will sing praises for my God as Healer. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!


No comments:

Post a Comment