Saturday, January 1, 2022

1000 Hours Outside :: December

We wrapped up December with only a few hours on our log. We started off with a little heat wave, so it made it much easier to get outside to play. And then it got cold again, and Mommy struggled with a lot of fatigue and sickness...  oh well. I can't help it if we're not outdoorsy in the winter. I'm definitely more motivated now to encourage outside time in the cold, but I'm ok with having limits. Seems to be low 40s is ours...maybe another year in Virginia will help that :)



We went on several neighborhood walks, and even got to go in the evenings to see all the fun Christmas lights and inflatables! The benefit of it getting dark at 5:30pm :)




Bubbles aren't exactly a December activity, but the kids had been bugging me about them, and they were such good helpers while I vacuumed out the car...so bubbles in December it is!





Of course, we also spent time outside when we visited the National Christmas Tree and Holiday Road. And we snuck in one last walk at the end of the year, before all the rain. My children {unknowingly} played Robin Hood with some poor squirrel's acorn stash, redistributing them all around the neighborhood. 




-------

Even though we didn't hit {or even get close to} 1000 hours, I am really glad we attempted this challenge. I am not going to be the mom who spends all day outside, but I can be the mom who prioritizes more outside time as much as we can. This challenge forced us to get outside more than we may have otherwise, and it helped us get creative with our outside time. And I call that a win!

We will continue tracking on our color sheet, but I won't track our hours on the blog monthly moving forward. There are only so many neighborhood walk and playing outside photos I can post :)

I highly recommend this challenge, as it is a great motivator to get outside and let kids play in nature!


No comments:

Post a Comment