Monday, October 14, 2024

The Great Pooh Bear Exchange

When Aiden was 4 months old, he received a stuffed Pooh Bear from Grandma and Papa. It was basically love at first sight, and he has carried that Pooh Bear with him ever since. Pooh Bear goes everywhere with him. You basically see Pooh Bear in most pictures from then on.



He had a Pooh Bear birthday when he turned two, and Grandma and Papa gifted him a new Pooh Bear, in an attempt to replace the already stinky well-loved original haha. At the time, we were able to convince him that Pooh Bear needed to be washed and were able to switch the two. But even then, he seemed to side-eye the new Pooh for a bit before finally accepting him. But it was really hard to get him to let go of Pooh again. Washing him was always fairly traumatic. The washer/dryer was never fast enough.




About a year after this first exchange, we had a scare where we thought we had lost Pooh. Thankfully, we found him, but it made me realize that we should have a backup on hand, just in case. At the time, it would have been devastating if we lost Pooh, so even if we had only an imposter to offer {because I wholly believe that's how it would have been rejected}, it would have been better than nothing. So I kept a backup in the back of our closet...

Fast forward 4 years, several washes, and lots of life later... and that poor Pooh is beyond loved. Aiden has grown and matured, so Pooh wash days have become far less traumatic. He willingly hands it over, even volunteering Pooh on his own, saying it's time that Pooh take a bath. But he is always looking for him as soon as the laundry is done ;)  

For awhile, washes have worked fairly well. But in the past year, that poor Pooh has started looking fairly sad. I have thought about exchanging him, even thinking of saying that the washing machine got him really clean haha! But I just haven't had the heart to do it. And Aiden is just too smart for that now. But recently, I have been thinking he might agree to an exchange much easier. More matter-of-factly.

No judgment, please. I swear that thing has been scrubbed multiple times haha


We watch a lot of family home videos, and one of them actually captures the 2nd birthday when he had 2 Pooh bears. We had watched it recently, and the kids were talking about how bright and clean the "new" Pooh Bear had looked in the video. So I asked Aiden what he would think about getting a new Pooh Bear, and if he would be willing to pass on his old Pooh Bear. When he agreed, I knew this was our chance! :)






This sweet boy spent A LOT of time with BOTH Pooh Bears. So much time that I wasn't quite sure if he was going to let the old one go. But I didn't rush it, and I let him have his time. Toward the end of the morning, I gently asked him if he loved his new Pooh Bear. He emphatically said "Yes!" And then I gently asked him if he was ready to pass on his old Pooh Bear. He took another look at his old Pooh Bear, gave him one last hug, and then handed it over. 

And then my Mama heart broke just a tiny bit. 

And now that old ratty Pooh Bear is at the back of my closet because I just can't let it go HAHA. 

Have I now prolonged this love affair with Pooh? Maybe. But this sweet boy is happy as a clam with his new Pooh Bear, and yes, he absolutely can go to college with it, so just mind your business. {just kidding}

:)

Silly, willy, nilly ol' bear...


No comments:

Post a Comment